Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am new to the scene, as I just got my sable. To be more specific, I have the '99 Mercury Sable LS. Despite adding PIAA bulbs and cleaning the exterior of the headlamps, I don't get much light. I am looking to add fog lights. I want to put them in the space in the bumper under the headlights. (I think that's a good spot).

I am a complete novice when it comes to wiring and whatnot. I have looked through these forums at a good few fog light topics, and no one really explains how to go about this in a specific manner. I pretty much want the fog lights to come on whenever the headlights are on (either autolamps or manual). Do I add the fog light wires to some sort of relay and then splice with the headlight switch?

I also have looked at some fog lights, and by looking through posts, I have come to a conclusion that the Hella Micro DE lights are pretty good for the job. If you have any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. (these are pretty expensive).

Thanks for any input!

Sam

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
lights dim?

hello, you say you dont get much light?
do you mean compared to other cars or less than you used to get?.
before you spring for the big price you might check the voltage at our bulbs and check ground resistance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't get much light compared to other cars. I had previously changed the bulbs to PIAAs and it made it slightly better than what was in there before, but it really doesn't get the full light I'm looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking today, why not use the parking light wires for the fogs and forget the parking lights since they are unnecessary? I tested the wires and I am getting a reading of 11.28 volts on the parking lights. Is this a good idea? I feel like it would be pretty easy this way, and I don't see me missing the parking lights at all.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you go with the hella kit, it includes a relay, wiring, a switch and wiring diagrams.

The parking lamp wires probably won't be able to handle the draw from heavier duty lamps. It may also cause you problems if the parking lamps don't work when you get the car inspected depending on your states regulations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah. That makes sense. I am just trying to get around wiring :) . I guess I will have to then. My issue with a new button for them is that they won't turn off like my headlights do automatically and they could drain the battery.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you wire the relay to the parking lamps they will. The relay is essentially a magnetic switch, run one wire to the new lights, one wire to a fused power source and the other taps into the parking lamp or headlight wire. The relay will only switch on when there's power coming from the park/headlamp wire. You still want to run a switch from the dash so you can kill them when needed.

The only problem I've run into is the relays tend to be cheap and I had to change them out once or twice a year. You can get them at any parts store for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Side Bar On Relays:

I use to own some Merkurs, made in Germany, imported by Ford. These Merkurs had a whole bank of relays, from 15-20 amps up to 40 amps.

I pulled all the relays from a couple of wrecked Merkurs I bought. I have been using these relays for years and they hold up well. They have the Ford logo on them. If you find a wrecked Merkur, lift the hood. On the driver's side next to the firewall is the relay/fuse box. Easy to get to.

Just pull up on them and they come out. Spade connectors.

(See my photo album for pics of a Merkur)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I put a Hella FF-75 kit on a 98' in the place you mentioned, and you're wise going with the good stuff, as cheapo's just don't take the weather. I did use the relay kit to the battery, and wired the trigger to the headlight switch with an additional rocker switch under the dash. Could run with the fog's only in the parking light mode this way. Just so you know, the front bumper beam is hardened steal, so stock up on drill bit's trying to punch holes in it.

·
Banned
323 Posts
I put a Hella FF-75 kit on a 98' in the place you mentioned, and you're wise going with the good stuff, as cheapo's just don't take the weather. I did use the relay kit to the battery, and wired the trigger to the headlight switch with an additional rocker switch under the dash. Could run with the fog's only in the parking light mode this way. Just so you know, the front bumper beam is hardened steel, so stock up on drill bits trying to punch holes in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Borbet. I am going to get on this within the month. I am a little iffy on doing the actual wiring, but I don't think it could be that hard... I want to do exactly what you said and have it wired to the headlight switch so they will go on and off with the headlights. Is that what I should search for? Adding a "rocker" to it? I may sound novice asking this, but I really don't know much. I'm more of a computer person. :)

Thanks for any and all info!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to update this thread from awhile ago... I looked through junkyards and got a F150 headlight switch which was recommended because it has a fog option on it so I don't have to add another switch and it fits perfectly once you change the faceplates as per a guide here.

I changed the faceplates and the switch works perfectly for all normal operations. I have finally ordered the Hella Micro DE Halogen Fog lights. They get here around Friday, and then I will attempt wiring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know how to use the Factory Fog lamp switch (i bought that F150 switch) with the Hellas? It comes with a dinky switch, but the wires to it are three different wires. I assume one is the ground, one is power, and maybe one is lights? I could be totally wrong. I found guide here that shows how to wire this switch, but I need to know which wire is which.

If anyone is curious, the wires are black (i'm 99% sure this is the ground), blue (this wire goes from the switch to where they want you to splice it with the low beam headlights), and a yellow (this wire goes to the relay number 86).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Is there a chance you could find another one? I have been looking and have had no luck yet.
Or if you don't need it I would like to buy it from you.

Look for a post by be about adding foglights. Coneynew posted a link on how silvapain did the headlight switch conversion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lucked out and found a really cheat f150 switch on ebay. I saw his guide and that is all fine, I just need specifics on the wires from the hellas. That guide doesn't have them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If anyone is still reading this, then here is the outcome. I finished!

Here is a day picture. I'll add night ones later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts