Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you put an aftermarket CD receiver into a '99 Taurus? I don't feel like spending $120 to have it put in.

They said I'd need to rewire the speaker wiring and put in the dash kit for the CD receiver.

How hard is that to do? I have installed two amps for a sub and a set of 6x8's.

-EH

·
Registered
307 Posts
you have to buy the dash kit and thw wirering harness..that will run you around 80 dollars depending on where u get it. then you just wire the head unit to the "brain" in the trunk along the drivers side floor

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Floor shift or column? If floor, you can do a custom fiberglass install where the cigarette lighter is. If not, you are going to need the dash kit. If I didn't have the automatic climate controls, I'd put the dash kit in. Look in the For Sale forum I believe someone there has one they would like to sell.

And the point of the wiring harness is to bypass the RCU, not use it. Personally I wouldn't even touch the harness, I'd just run new wires around.

Edit - Here $25 plus shipping. No wiring harness for the 98-99 RCU but if you already run amps, the only thing you need to worry about is power, acc, and ground because you will be running RCAs rather than speaker wires.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=853

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
If you have the digital climate controls you can't do an aftermarket indash CD because it turns out that the climate control buttons and the buttons that work the stereo are all one circuit board. If you have 3 rotary knobs though you can do it, you just need this kit. Crutchfield has it for 65 and that includes the 18 foot wiring harness and 18 foot antena extension.

Gen 3 In-Dash Kit

I put a new head unit in my Gen 4 using the Gen 4 kit and it worked great. Damn near blew the speakers out too! AND! they give you all the instructions you need with lots of pictures too. Pretty easy to do actually, the hardest part will be snaking the wiring harness and antena from the trunk to the front of the car, but they tell you exactly what to pull up and where to run the cables.

-mobiuslogic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts