Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2000 LX with a cassette player only. I would like to give it to my mother but she really wants a CD player in it. I talked to my local mechanic and he said it would be almost impossible and probably cost about $1000. That doesn't seem reasonable, especially with a dash kit or something like that. Could someone with a little more experience than me shed some light on this situation? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The ford dash unit from an 01-03 should work.
You might have to switch some of the rear plugs between the units for it to plug in.

Or you can buy a ford 6 disc cd changer from me!! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd take you up on that, but I live in Western Canada and it would cost more to ship than the things worth. I'm going to check some junkyards and local places to try and find a dash that would work. I guess it's just a job of replacing the whole console? Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I take it you are not familiar with how the stock sound system is set up. You can swap in a stock cd player unit. Myself, never use CDs anymore, MP3 players are so much more convenient. It is much easier to integrate an MP3 player into the stock setup than to switch to an aftermarket head unit in my opinion.

The catch with the stock unit is that the RCU is not in the dash, the dash is more like a remote interface, think of it like the face of a typical aftermarket unit. It controls the RCU which is located elsewhere in the trunk. The 6 disc changer is a great choice for anyone who still uses CDs. I would recommend going that route because its all plug and play. Assuming you have the right head unit already. It has to have a button labeled CD or AUX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORD-TAURUS-200..._Receivers&hash=item1e63a33857#ht_3061wt_1141

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, there's a button on the stereo for CD's but it's only a cassette player. Thanks for all your helps, I'll look into a 6 CD changer kit. The link you sent me - does it have a line in for iPods and MP3s? My screen is a bit too dark to tell.

·
Registered
294 Posts
he said he has an lx. that cd player has climate control. the lx has rotary. thats a bitch to change. just look for one taken out of a taurus on ebay. they have ones with a cd player and rotary controls

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I second that, it will fit great, its inexpensive, a lot less than you will pay for a good aftermarket unit, you won't need a dash kit or harness adapters. Its just a direct swap, plug and play. It should also be compatible with the 6 disc changer should you decide you still want one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks for all the help guys! I'm liking the idea of that CD player and console for $70 . I've heard of people integrating MP3 into the cassette players; would that be possible with the CD setup as well?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
This would work with your CD button on your existing HU, it connects to the CD changer harness. If you have a button on your radio that says "CD", changer harness is probably in your trunk already.

pie frdr/pc-pod2 ford taurus mercury sable ipod interface

You can probably find a lower price for it, too.
I like mine. I haven't hauled around CD's in my car in years...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the help guys! I'm liking the idea of that CD player and console for $70 . I've heard of people integrating MP3 into the cassette players; would that be possible with the CD setup as well?
Doing the right way as dan suggested, then yes. Doing it the cut-and-splice way, probably not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts