Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, i changed my battery and my CD CHanger broke itself. Now, i removed the jammed cd's, but most of the time i either get a BAD CD error or the CDE 1 error.

basically, i need a new changer. i called the local ford dealer, and they want $500 FROCKING DOLLARS for a replacement. $500 for a FORD product...sorry, no way, not worth it. So i hit crutchfield.com a few minutes ago, and found one that will plug right up to my car, all for the low low price of $250.

Still not worth it.

SO my question is this: is there any way to hook up an aftermarket changer (I found one for like $120) using the existing wiring in my trunk and that will work with the CD CHanger controls on my radio? I've heard bad things about the changers that broadcast through the FM radio, so I'd want something hardwired to the system.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, but would really like a CD Player. since the dash is screwey in my car, not allowing an aftermarket dash-mount deck, i'm kinda stuck with a changer.

any ideas would be great. i'm dying listening to the garbage they call radio around here.

NOTE: if you are ever in this area and have need to stop by a ford dealer for some reason or another...avoid Turnpike Ford of Gallipolis like the plague. :angry:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah...duh...97 Ford taurus, lx, with MACH AUDIO. guess that's kinda important, eh? hehe.

EDIT: sheesh, my memory's shot. I have the Electronic CLimate control, also. i know that makes a difference in finding in-dash mounting kits.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I have a 6 disk changer from my MACH audio system that I would sell you, but I'm not sure if a gen4 mach cd changer would work with a gen3 system...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm not sure if it'd work or not. i know i can't use a in dash receiver b/c of the climate control. i'm just not sure how to hook up a changer w/out running any extra wires. if the wire that's already back there won't fit, can i get away with buying an adapter? and would the controls on the factory radio work?

also, if you want to sell the changer from your gen 4 and it will work in my gen 3, pm me with a price.

thanks for the input guys. i really need to get this figured out.

EDIT: Nice sig pic ash...like it a lot. :D

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I forgot who it is but somebody has the Mach system and mounted their new cd player under the steering wheel and somebody else mounted it where the ashtray was. Lemme see if I can find that post......

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
It was Mike A.K.A. "mcgillies" who has his head unit mounted right under the MACH system where the ashtray was. You may want to PM him if you can catch him. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
You could go and buy a Disc changer that run through the FM band of your radio. They are easy to hookup and because everything is in the rear it is even easier.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
You could go and buy a Disc changer that run through the FM band of your radio. They are easy to hookup and because everything is in the rear it is even easier.
I tried that once. The only thing I didn't like about it was that during crazy weather or if I was driving through tunnels and some underpasses, the signal would fade.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trying not to do that. i'd like to have the changer wired to the system...i just need to find one that will connect to the existing wires...or find out if any cd changer can be adapted to work with the existing wires.

as for mounting anything in the car...i have leather interior that is in perfect condition...no wear/rips/stains...nothing. i don't want to compromise that for anything if i don't have to.

thanks for the ideas, though. i'll check that post about the ashtray mount.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
www.cdchangersonline.com or eBay.....

Under $200 for changer with adapter cable to plug and play. Mine is an Audiovox. Worked fine in my 2000 LX and now my 2004 LX.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
How hard would it be to custom fiberglass the stereo? Are the wires about the same as the HVAC with knobs? If it is, I could open it up and take out all the stereo parts and fill it in with fiberglass. Anyone have any ideas on how it is wired? I am just tring to see if I can help the people with this problem. If anyone has a stereo with Electronic CLimate control that doesn't work I could give it a try.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by carraudio@Sep 10 2004, 10:28 PM
How hard would it be to custom fiberglass the stereo? Are the wires about the same as the HVAC with knobs? If it is, I could open it up and take out all the stereo parts and fill it in with fiberglass. Anyone have any ideas on how it is wired? I am just tring to see if I can help the people with this problem. If anyone has a stereo with Electronic CLimate control that doesn't work I could give it a try.
if you pull out a stereo with digital controls and take a look at the back of it you will see why this cant really be done... there is a circuit board that runs through the entire pannel.

it could be done if you were so electrically inclined as to gut the circuit board in half, and run wire traces to a remote location so that you could still get power and response to/from the AC controls.

now what is more feasible is to cut the section of your dash belos the radio, move the AC controls down lower, and hide the obsolete stock stereo controls behind the custom fiberglass work that is going to replace the area you just cut out.

hopefully the ball will start rolling soon and i can post pics :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts