Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to put in a new radio and sub whoofers in my 2001 taurus sel, only problem is there is no after market radio faceplate for that model however one exist for the regualr taurus. proably because it has the digital termostat but i honestly dont want a glovebox/middle console radio. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Easiest workaround, lets ask a few simple questions. Do you need a CD player. Almost everyone either listens to the radio or uses an iPod or other MP3 player. Using a PIE adapter, your stock radio can do that. With the PIE adapters you can either just get the AUX input, or you can get direct iPod control through the radio. From there, you just need to address the subwoofer issue. That is a more complicated issue. You can use a line out converter to tap into your stock speaker outputs. This method works well, but your stock radio cuts out much of the bass beyond 50% volume.

You can also get a Factory Sound Processors at Crutchfield.com. These take the sound output from the stock RCU, they can add the missing bass, and reroute the calculated sound to the amps. Just take the money you didn't spend on a new head unit and spend it on this instead.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Khan, i know you think theyre hideous, lol, but for another option does metra and/or scosche make an eatc aftermarket kit for the 01?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Easiest workaround, lets ask a few simple questions. Do you need a CD player. Almost everyone either listens to the radio or uses an iPod or other MP3 player. Using a PIE adapter, your stock radio can do that. With the PIE adapters you can either just get the AUX input, or you can get direct iPod control through the radio. From there, you just need to address the subwoofer issue. That is a more complicated issue. You can use a line out converter to tap into your stock speaker outputs. This method works well, but your stock radio cuts out much of the bass beyond 50% volume.

You can also get a Factory Sound Processors at Crutchfield.com. These take the sound output from the stock RCU, they can add the missing bass, and reroute the calculated sound to the amps. Just take the money you didn't spend on a new head unit and spend it on this instead.
I think it would have been easier to amplify all speakers, or at least the front stage plus a subwoofer, then calibrate the amplifier so that the music volume is normal when the stereo volume knob is at about 40%. In this case, the OP can get away with just buying just a 4-channel amplifier with built in speaker level inputs (VIBE Audio has several affordable models for example).

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts