Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have question i cleaned the throttle body on my 97 mercury sable dohc,,i started taking off down the road came to a stop sign then when pushing on the gas pedal it was stuck like it was binding up ,, i made sure it was working before i drove the car,,kept pushing the gas pedal finally i could push the pedal and drove the car i wonder if i messed up the tps sencor or mabe i messed up the throttle body or something else,,,,now the car has a ruff engine idle ...also driving the car a certain spot in the throttle theres a miss in the motor ,, then the motor smooths out the car has plenty of power with no hesitation ,, sometimes you can drive the car it idles smooth other times i get a ruff engine at idle and 1 time the transmission had a harsh shift,, it could be vacumm leak i replaced the MAF sencor with a autozone duralast part which i heard there not that good i tryed finding a motorcraft part ...mine was tested bad,, put a new motorcraft IAC from the ford dealer ,i did pull the neg cable off, and drove the car to relearn the computer,,, the idle seem a little lower at idle,, the car has a ruff engine idle,, the car has 131,000 miles ,,i tuned up the car at 90,000 miles

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Likely broke the TPS. or at least the shaft tang is not engaged in the slot in the TPS.
I will post later on how it is to be installed when I find the info.
-chart-

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Likely broke the TPS. or at least the shaft tang is not engaged in the slot in the TPS.
-chart-
sorry to bother you again,,i kind of think thats the problem ,, i could wait but i can get a new motorcraft throttle position sencor for only 59 dollars and free shipping on ebay...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Motorcraft-DY967-F4SZ-9B989-AA-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TP,,,,,,, my local parts store wants wants over 140 dollars,,

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
The shaft has a tang that will be about horizontal at idle stop. The sensor had a slot that slips over the tang. The sensor will need to be put on with the electric connection about 45 degrees down and then then turned up to horizontal to engage the screws. It is spring loaded and you should feel light spring resistance as it moves up to alignment. After install, you should be able to rotate the throttle shaft full open with mild spring resistance from the shaft spring. (external spring not on at this test).
-chart-
sorry to bother you again,,i kind of think thats the problem ,, i could wait but i can get a new motorcraft throttle position sencor for only 59 dollars and free shipping on ebay...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Motorcraft-DY967-F4SZ-9B989-AA-Throttle-Position-Sensor-TP,,,,,,, my local parts store wants wants over 140 dollars
Might need more info. I assumed you removed the TPS but not sure. Cleaning the TB is a bit of a trick and should not be necessary unless the PCV is not working right. I would never use spray cleaner on this. The shaft bearings (sealed ball bearings) do not do well with some cleaner as it attacks the rubber seals. I use acetone and swabs to anly clean the dirty surface.
-chart-

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The shaft has a tang that will be about horizontal at idle stop. The sensor had a slot that slips over the tang. The sensor will need to be put on with the electric connection about 45 degrees down and then then turned up to horizontal to engage the screws. It is spring loaded and you should feel light spring resistance as it moves up to alignment. After install, you should be able to rotate the throttle shaft full open with mild spring resistance from the shaft spring. (external spring not on at this test).

Might need more info. I assumed you removed the TPS but not sure. Cleaning the TB is a bit of a trick and should not be necessary unless the PCV is not working right. I would never use spray cleaner on this. The shaft bearings (sealed ball bearings) do not do well with some cleaner as it attacks the rubber seals. I use acetone and swabs to only clean the dirty surface.
-chart-
I removed the tube from the aircleaner sprayed with THROTTLE BODY CLEANER and i pulled the IAC off and cleaned it,, i didnt remove TPS or pull off the TB,, pcv is a new motorcraft PCV VALVE and a new u shaped hose,,,, i dont know why throttle stuck after driving the car after cleaning the TB i thought cabon was making the thottle stick after cleaning it,,i saw a you tube video on my car it showed how to clean the tb,, if i would have known that i would have not touched the tb,,so could i have ruind the TPS i dont know,, just curious are you saying i might have re aline TBS, after putting a new one i think,,,,possably i might be able take a look at it ,, taking off the spring to test the tbs to see how the tb is working open or closed ,, my question should i buy a new tbs or do you think its a TB problem i just saw another toraus forum that said I uncovered a sticker stating that the throttle body has a special coating, and NOT to clean it or the coating will be destroyed. ,,,,, my TB never had this sticker on my car

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I have cleaned the TB just like you did and never ruined it. The coating if actually there is suppose to prevent build up. I have pulled off the sensor and reinstalled and you really don't need to adjust it, it only installs in one position.

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
I have cleaned the TB just like you did and never ruined it. The coating if actually there is suppose to prevent build up. I have pulled off the sensor and reinstalled and you really don't need to adjust it, it only installs in one position.
Pic of my spare TB from the JY. I cleaned it up and used it. This crud usually comes from a bad PCV. The only place that matters is the bore so the plate does not stick at idle stop. The JY is a collection place for poorly maintained cars.
The TPS sensor is reset by the PCM when the car is started. No relearning required. Have never seen a bad one in Bulls. Had a bad one on '85 LTD.
Pic of signal but it should always see the same signal at idle stop. I replaced this TPS with new one. It was not the TPS fault. Was bad ground at the firewall. This from '03 DOHC.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pic of my spare TB from the JY. I cleaned it up and used it. This crud usually comes from a bad PCV. The only place that matters is the bore so the plate does not stick at idle stop. The JY is a collection place for poorly maintained cars.
The TPS sensor is reset by the PCM when the car is started. No relearning required. Have never seen a bad one in Bulls. Had a bad one on '85 LTD.
Pic of signal but it should always see the same signal at idle stop. I replaced this TPS with new one. It was not the TPS fault. Was bad ground at the firewall. This from '03 DOHC.
-chart-
i did have 2 stored codes one is PO102 and p1504 so i took it to my friends shop due a miss and a high idle ,, my friend told me i need to replace both IAC and the MAF,, i first bought a autozone duralast IAC and it made my car have a high idle when its cold even its bad it was 50 degrees outside at a stop light it idled so high i had really hold on to brake pedal and keep the car from moving forword,, i pulled it took it back to autozone, i bought a motorcraft IAC, i put a autozone durlast MAF sensor i was trying to find a motorcraft one ,,,every time i drive the car it eather misses at idle or it doesnt one time the transmission had a harsh shift, it still seams at idle its little low ,, i can feel the car missing,,i looked at my ground on the pass side back motor it looked good i dont know how to check if i have a bad ground,, i can take it to ford dealer will scope the motor for 50 dollars,, i have had my 20 years dont want to get rid of it yet,, i did have a rebuilt trans and struts,, i did put a new motorcraft pcv valve and you shaped hose,, plus i dont have check engine light on

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
-chart-
I had a 1990 Taurus that developed a dead spot in the linearity of the sensor. It showed up on a DVM and also produced a repeatable dead spot in the throttle response. Just a slight pause.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a 1990 Taurus that developed a dead spot in the linearity of the sensor. It showed up on a DVM and also produced a repeatable dead spot in the throttle response. Just a slight pause.
was that the throttle body sencor,, my car has a low idle , miss in the motor at idle ,1 time my transmission shifted harsh i can feel it , but when i give it more throttle the miss goes a way and has no hesitation plenty of power the car does the dohc motor 97 sable

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
I thing ring blow by either from worn rings or short trips from cold starts will bring more oil vapor into the intake manifold producing crud.
"Blow By" is common back in the day, but not at all common today. Even at the JY, I see engines with the heads pulled and the cylinders are like OE, cross hatch. Back in my day, cylinders had "ridge" at the top where you used a "ridge reamer" to remove the un-worn part. Cylinders were "tapered" and "our of round" due to wear. Cars in the "40's and earlier common to need new rings by 30K miles. Sludge was common, if not in every engine. The "good old days" are long gone.
-chart-

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
My opinion is all your are not being caused by your TPS. I also had a hesitated shift at 45 MPH and it was related to a bad coil. Need to focus on the miss at idle.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
"Blow By" is common back in the day, but not at all common today. Even at the JY, I see engines with the heads pulled and the cylinders are like OE, cross hatch. Back in my day, cylinders had "ridge" at the top where you used a "ridge reamer" to remove the un-worn part. Cylinders were "tapered" and "our of round" due to wear. Cars in the "40's and earlier common to need new rings by 30K miles. Sludge was common, if not in every engine. The "good old days" are long gone.
-chart-
I think there is quite a bit of blow by in engines these day and that is why they sell catch cans. Turbos and direct injection contribute a lot to blow by.

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
My opinion is all your are not being caused by your TPS. I also had a hesitated shift at 45 MPH and it was related to a bad coil. Need to focus on the miss at idle.
Agree. If the TPS is in range at idle, and repeats at idle stop, and, moves with throttle movement all is OK. Idle is managed by air flow. Idle air flow is largely, IAC, and PCV. Vacuum leaks add to that. If the TPS does not repeat at idle stop, the PCM will be confused and make for unstable idle speed. I have done this. Loosen the screws on the TPS and move it within the slack in the screw holes, start the engine and it idles the same but had a different % according to OBDII.
-chart-

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
in 2002 the coil pack went bad ,, and shop replaced it with cheap non brand coil pack which did last 18 years, in 2003 i had the plugs and wires replaced , the car only has 131,000 miles on the car,, iam thinking tuning up the car since iam going to take off the intake manifold any way, iam planing to buy motorcraft wires and coil pack,, my trans has been rebuilt and new struts

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
I would think about downloading Forscan which is free and buying a OBDII adapter to check your fuel trims. and other parameters.
I prefer the "carchip" which records things you want recorded. It records 4 of a shopping list you choose, every 5 seconds along with the default speed. Also will report speed, time of day, and such of each trip. Download to a computer.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I prefer the "carchip" which records things you want recorded. It records 4 of a shopping list you choose, every 5 seconds along with the default speed. Also will report speed, time of day, and such of each trip. Download to a computer.
-chart-
i might buy carchip i saw them on ebay,,,,,i cant beleave how much money dealers and repair shops,, like local ford dealer wants 120 dollars to check out the car on a machine , firestone wants 125 dollars ,, if i drive only 6 miles to another ford dealer its only 50 dollars so iam making apointment at the ford dealer,, just tired of guessing what is wrong with my car ,, spending more money for parts that dont fix the car, hopefully the dealer can dignoise my car, i bought my sable in dec 2000 with 66,000 miles now today it only has 131,000 miles had the transmisson rebuilt ,, new struts ,, water pump,, new raditor ,goodyear 80,000 mile tires,, new motorcraft car battery,,new motor mounts ,,,,,,, i tuned up the car at 99,000 miles, i dont want to give up on my car yet and start over and buy a car that needs more work

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
i might buy carchip i saw them on ebay,,,,,i cant beleave how much money dealers and repair shops,, like local ford dealer wants 120 dollars to check out the car on a machine , firestone wants 125 dollars ,, if i drive only 6 miles to another ford dealer its only 50 dollars so iam making apointment at the ford dealer,, just tired of guessing what is wrong with my car ,, spending more money for parts that dont fix the car, hopefully the dealer can dignoise my car, i bought my sable in dec 2000 with 66,000 miles now today it only has 131,000 miles had the transmisson rebuilt ,, new struts ,, water pump,, new raditor ,goodyear 80,000 mile tires,, new motorcraft car battery,,new motor mounts ,,,,,,, i tuned up the car at 99,000 miles, i dont want to give up on my car yet and start over and buy a car that needs more work
PIc of the device and just one of the things it can record. If the car is wrecked, there is a permanent tick by tick of details. Never needed by me.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts