Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i was given a 99 se with a vulcan. The car shows 159.000 and it seems to be a bit neglected. It seems to have what i call a delay when puting it into reverse or drive but never hesitates to go. maybe like a 5 sec delay. When driving it shifts fine and no issues. I want to know if it would be a bad idea to change filter and fluid on trans and btw it is showing a P1744 code. I dont want to kill the trans by doing this but i guess if it does im not out the cost of the car since it was given to me. I know the car was bought new and owned by same family and passed down from father to daughter to son and thew car is getting ****** mpg not sure if that is from the need of a tune up or trans issues also.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
Def. change fluid & filter with mercon5. some on here have had luck changing out only torque converter clutch solenoid (tcc). I had to change out torque converter, bushings, and seals to get rid of dreaded p1744.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well, sounds like this may not be a free car after all. I would budget for a transmission rebuild, soon. The age, mileage, and maint history point to a rebuild. If the rest of the car is in good shape, I would have it rebuilt, however, since you live in the NE, corrosion could be an issue (the Taurus didn't do very well in the rust belt). For now, change the atf and filter, in hopes to nurse it along til you can get it rebuilt. I wouldn't drive the car very far from home til you can fix it. The poor mpgs could be related to the transmission issue, as the tc is probably slipping, or it just needs a tune up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts