Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 2000 Taurus. If it is cold outside (20 - 30 degrees), the locks on some of the doors do not move. You can hear the power lock actuator energizing, but the lock never turns. Manually pulling or pushing on the lock doesn't get them to move, either. They just will not budge.

Besides relocating to a warmer climate, does anyone have any advice on what might be wrong, and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:( You might get slaughtered by some members who say read the Seach function or Wicki. A billion replies on this common problem. I have the same problem with my 2001----spray the heck out of it with WD40 and/or lithium grease. I've done that too but I still get this wretched problem on the driver's door which gets the most wear, every week! Possibly need to clean and lube the keylock since most people use their remotes and not exercising their links or key lock assemblies. I never used my keys in 4 yrs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is not the lock, it is the actuator.
Spraying anything in the lock won't help.

Mine froze in the locked position and I could not get it open without turning the crap out of the key and pulling the handle at the same time. It was like this for 4 days.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would pull the inner door panels off, use a hair dryer to warm up all the mechanical assemblies, and spray them with WD-40, THEN spray them with white lithium grease. The WD-40 will clean all the crap out of them, and the lithium grease will lubricate everything.

Spray the latches while you're at it, too. It can't hurt.

JR

·
Registered
453 Posts
White Lithium grease spray is the way to go. It goes on thin, penetrates and then thinkens up leaving a thick film to keep out moisture. I took the inner door panel off my 2001 and sprayed the heck out of the latch and rod that went into the latch mechanism. I them worked the locks alot to get stuff worked in really good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I've realized that the driver's door actuator doesn't make a sound, so cleaning and greasing most likely won't help there - probably time for a replacement actuator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts