Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna purchase some new rotors and pads for my 2013 Taurus, what brands do you guys like? Also, just any advice in general. I'm considering doing the job myself with a friend who's done brakes before. My current rotors are badly grooved, though I haven't much bases for comparison, so that's sort of a guess. The pads I have stop well but put out a ton of dust. The real reason I want to change everything though is the shuddering I've been experiencing when braking from 60+ mph.

·
Registered
22,491 Posts
Cheap rotors, quality pads has always worked for me. Ceramic pads will cut down brake dust vs. organic or semi-metallic. I like the Duralast Gold and/or C-Max from Autozone. Lifetime warranty even against wear-out. Buy 1 set and you're done for as long as you own the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Everybody has their favorite rotors & pads for various reasons. However, finding anything but cheaply made Chinese rotors is a challenge these days. I don't go with the cheapest rotors; nor, do I go with the most expensive. Regardless, ceramic pads will eat them up long before the pads are gone, anyway. I'm going with some AC Delco coated rotors on my daughter's '10 Edge...w/Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads this time around.

BTW...congrats on learning how to do this easy job yourself. It's both gratifying and saves you a bunch of money. Wish I had pocketed all the money I saved over the decades by doing my own brakes; not to mention all the other maintenance I've done on my many vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've always done the cheap rotor expensive pad routine and never had any problems. Me don't like brake dust so I always go with Thermos or a high end Raybestos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed a powerstop kit on mine from rock auto. Shipped to my door was around 320 for all 4 corners. The car is a 2013 PI. They are coated so they should stand up to rust belt winters and the ridiculous amount of salt my workplace puts down in the parking lot. It was still cheaper than any of the local chain stores even with any discount codes. Plus I feel like I got a much better product. The same kit for a non-PI is 234 plus shipping right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just went with rotors treated to resist corrosion, up here in the salt. Rockauto. Pads, go Powerstop Z23 or I went Z36 for severe duty. No brake dust.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I actually like the performance of the Motorcraft pads and rotors on my Fords. I've actually done quite a few brake jobs on my Mustang over the 22 year i've owned it and found the motorcraft pads gave me the best cold bite and were quiet. I've tried a few performance pads and such and have come full circle back to motorcraft pads.

On my Taurus, the first brake job i did i went with centric rotors and bendix pads and wasn't impressed. Recent brake job, i did motorcraft rotors and pads all the way around and was really impressed at how well the brakes bit, especially on that first cold stop of the AM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts