Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

In Feb, head gasket blew due to overheating. On 3/9, I ordered a reman from O'Reilly Auto. After 4 bad crate engines in a row, I am requesting that they cash me out, which they are pretty much agreeing to.

Question is..where do I go from here? I like the idea of a reman w/ 3 year warranty...BUT if they aren't any better than a used one, than I guess I don't see the point of dropping all that extra cash.

The site remanufactoredenginesforsale.com quoted me 2375 = 275 core, shipped to me, 3 yr/100k warranty, claimed that they get these from the Ford plant. Ford quoted me 5294 for the same thing, BUT said the cores are hard to come by. Legit?

Or, am I wasting my time/money, should I just look for a used engine (warranty?) on car-part.com?

I am new at engine replacement, and really appreciate any advice. This thing has been kicking my butt. I just want my T-wagon back!

What would you do?

Thank you so much, Dave

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
It's not a common occurrence to blow a head on a Tec. Generally they are very reliable and it's ancillary components that fail, internal engine repairs are rare. They are easily 250k+ motors so if you can find one through car-part.com that is reasonably local with @ 100k or less on it you should be able to save yourself quite a bit. Not to mention unlike the crate motor issue you've had you know one from a JY already has experience sending a Bull down the road. Before installation you can also head off a couple of the more annoying common repairs like the oil pan gasket and alternator while access to them is easy.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
I agree. Mine was near 200k with no internal issue (and some pretty good neglect- a 23k oil change for example.

Motor will still run if I go try, care was totalled, but is sitting in the yard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a common occurrence to blow a head on a Tec. Generally they are very reliable and it's ancillary components that fail, internal engine repairs are rare. They are easily 250k+ motors so if you can find one through car-part.com that is reasonably local with @ 100k or less on it you should be able to save yourself quite a bit. Not to mention unlike the crate motor issue you've had you know one from a JY already has experience sending a Bull down the road. Before installation you can also head off a couple of the more annoying common repairs like the oil pan gasket and alternator while access to them is easy.

I am a little late on this. O'Reilly cashed me out after I threatened them with a suit...including some rental car expenses.

I took your advice, bought a used one for 650 (65K miles), been fine ever since.

Thank you!! Dave

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am a little late on this. O'Reilly cashed me out after I threatened them with a suit...including some rental car expenses.

I took your advice, bought a used one for 650 (65K miles), been fine ever since.

Thank you!! Dave

I'm facing the same job on my '02 and already picked up a used engine. Just out of curiosity, did you pull the engine out the top or did you drop the subframe to replace it? I've heard the subframe drop is the way to go but I'm working alone and worry they full weight of engine/trans/subframe will be difficult to get back in. I did a trans swap on a taurus a while back so I do know what's involved in the subframe drop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm facing the same job on my '02 and already picked up a used engine. Just out of curiosity, did you pull the engine out the top or did you drop the subframe to replace it? I've heard the subframe drop is the way to go but I'm working alone and worry they full weight of engine/trans/subframe will be difficult to get back in. I did a trans swap on a taurus a while back so I do know what's involved in the subframe drop.

Hello, late reply. I assume they took it out of the top...they don't have a lift. Engine still runs fine, though I have a freon leak now...labor is high because of the Duratec. Thinking of going back to a Vulcan on my next used Taurus, just to save costs on repairs. I'm not a mechanic, and don't have tome to learn. My '96 Sable w/ Vulcan is near 350K same engine LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts