Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the premium JBL system with the built in subwoofer in my sable. I am buying a new amp to power my new sub but I was wondering since the subwoofer in my car is gettign a low level input somewhere if I could avoid buying a LOC and just somehow use the low level input from the car stereo into my new amp. And also I know I could run a remote turn on wire to the trunk frmo the battery with a switch but is there a factory remote turn on near the rcu in the trunk that may be easier to use?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yeah, there's a wire you can use for remote turn on already in the trunk IIRC - you'll have to search around, but it's posted here somewhere,

The JBL RCU has a separate sub port where the factory 6x9 plugs in. You can use that to feed line-level inputs or a line output converter.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
With the JBL system you MUST use the sub channel for a sub signal - the JBL system uses high pass filters on all the cabin speakers and only sends low frequencies to the sub. Use the signal wire for the power antenna as the turn-on lead.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks that is good to know because otherwise I would have spliced into the rear speakers. Would it matter though whether the signal was low or high because isn't it just for the signal to the amplifier. But either way could anyone tell me which wires are the low signal because I am buying a LOC and if I can't splice into the rear speakers which wires do I splice into?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
If it's going to a sub, you absolutely want the low frequencies; the cabin speakers aren't supplied low frequencies. Those are only sent to the sub channel.

I think you are confusing frequency with level.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that subs require low frequencies, but I thought the amp put out those low frequencies. I am just looking for signal from the speakers because i cannot connect rca cables to the factory headunit for a signal like on aftermarket radios. If I cannot run the LOC from the rear speakers for the signal do you know which wires on the rcu would be the signal to the factory subwoofer that I could use with a LOC instead of the rear speakers? Thanks for the help I really appriciate it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or are you just saying instead of using the rear speakers, splice into the rear factory subwoofer's speaker wires for the signal into the LOC.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yes, take the wires from the factory subwoofer. Those should be feeding your new sub amp.

You need the amp to get the low frequencies - the amp doesn't "make" the low frequencies as it can only amplify what it's sent form the source. The sub output on the JBL RCU is already all lows, so that's where you should take signal for the new subs, like Daniel said.

Follow the wiring from the factory 6x9 sub in the rear deck to the RCU and you'll see the smaller sub plug. I'd either just cut your harness in half and run it to the line level inputs/LOC or grab another sub harness from the junkyard and hack that one up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I got it now thanks for all the help I am eager to start this. Glad I got this website if not I would have probably blown my amp or sub.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the connector that plugs into the factory sub, im assuming the yellow wire with the red stripe is the power and the other 4 are inputs from the left and right channels positive and negative. Is this correct? and if it is then I just splice into the input wires and use them as the speaker inputs on the LOC?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts