Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there all,

I'm a new member and just got another Ford Taurus. Had a 93 and a 2001 SE before this. The new (well used) is a 2002 LX, which doesn't have remote keyless entry. I've got all the power doorlocks/windows/etc (practically everything it needs), but I'm trying to get an affirmative answer about what steps I need to take to get the factory remote keyless entry installed on this car?

Or if its even possible? I found a post that was asking a similar question, but after an hour of searching, I'm not finding anything near to answering this.

Here's what I've gathered from the other threads so far:
1) Taurus SE's are all equipped with this feature, GEM's manage the RKE featureset, but my LX is not due to it not being part of their features.
2) A Taurus SE GEM dropped into my car should allow basic functionality for the RKE, but I can't confirm yet if there's any additional modules/antenna units for this kind of thing?

Can someone give me a hand here? I really would like to just upgrade this car with RKE.

Thanks very much,
Falconer

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did you say that all 2002 SE's have keyless remote capabilities? Well I own a 02 SE and my car doesnt seem to have it. Am I programming it wrong or what?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you say that all 2002 SE's have keyless remote capabilities? Well I own a 02 SE and my car doesnt seem to have it. Am I programming it wrong or what?
That is a great question, I do not have an answer for you. I believe the posts I read stated that their gem was configured, but not all sE models had the physical capability. However I don't know this for certain, so take this with a HUGE grain of salt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?

So far I believe that I've found the following out, but i really could use an experienced hand on this if someone out there could respond.

1) Taurus LX's don't ship with factory remote keyless entry
2) Taurus SE's usually did ship with factor remote keyless entry
3) A Taurus SE or SEL GEM, when installed on a Taurus LX with the PDL/PW/etc should provide the programming necessary for the car to work with the Remote Keyless Entry system.
4) Physically, I've seen several posts which mention a RKE module on earlier taurus models, but it would appear that the RKE was integrated into the GEM for all 4th gen Taurus'.

The big question I don't know is if there's any Remote Keyless Entry antenna/wiring that has to be in existance before that GEM replacement can function properly? I would assume not, if the GEM is fully integrated for RKE.

Anyways, if anyone can help me on this I REALLY would appreciate it... my LX needs remotes dangit :D hehe.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Find a 2002-2003 SES or SEL Taurus or LS Premium Sable. Grab the complete central junction box (this includes the fuse box, relays, GEM, etc) It's a complete assembly. Yards have charged me $25-30 in the past for them.

The plug and play feature will allow you to unlock/lock your doors. You'll have to add the relay for the trunk popper, and tap into a wire and add it in on the junction box to enable the drivers door to unlock with one click.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts