Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think my 2008 was blowing cold enough air so I decided to add some R134. Picked up a gauge, watched a couple you-tube videos and it looked pretty easy. Seemed like every time I squeezed the trigger to add more R134 the pressure went down!!!!! Everything was connected properly (no leaks), AC was on full blast and the compressor was running. I now only have cold air at idle. Not sure if I should give it another go or not. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like maybe the connection line was not seated well. Did you try disconnecting and re-connecting to see if it would make a difference?

I'm kind of guessing this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like maybe the connection line was not seated well. Did you try disconnecting and re-connecting to see if it would make a difference?

I'm kind of guessing this.
I didn't see anything leaking and I definitely heard it coming out when I squeezed the trigger. I used an AC Pro gauge and a cheap can of Supertech 134 from Wally. I might grab the big AC Pro can with gauge and give that a try. It almost seems like I took refrigerant out of the system!!!!!:)

·
Super Moderator
7,697 Posts
Low side pressure (as well as high side press) go up and down as the compressor cycles on and off.

You really need to monitor both high and low side pressures when adding refrigerant to a system that is low on refrigerant to prevent overfilling the system, which is a BAD thing to do. Those AC Pro kits are a good way to damage your AC system if you dont know EXACTLY what you are doing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
"Watched a couple you-tube videos and it looked pretty easy" Have a Youtube certified technician perform the job! Buy a can of A/C Pro and become an expert! I even saw a commercial where the guy's dog recharged the A/C.
Seriously, take it to a certified A/C technician.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First gauge was bad. Picked up a new gauge and discovered I had overfilled her a little. Let some out until I got the proper reading and she's now kickin out ice cubes again. Should have known it was overfilled when the compressor was constantly kicking on and off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
fishx65
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing