Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

So, my 1999 Taurus SE (3rd Gen, Duratec, ~142k miles) and I were wondering how we can give it some horsepower. Nothing too fancy or costly please, as is it does already have 142k miles on it.

Only part that's not stock other than another drop-in filter is the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. Or so I think (I bought it with 140k miles as a fleet car, so I would think that it would be all stock)

Thanks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hello.

So, my 1999 Taurus SE (3rd Gen, Duratec, ~142k miles) and I were wondering how we can give it some horsepower. Nothing too fancy or costly please, as is it does already have 142k miles on it.

Only part that's not stock other than another drop-in filter is the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. Or so I think (I bought it with 140k miles as a fleet car, so I would think that it would be all stock)

Thanks.
Topic finder helps, as does the search function. The 'tec doesn't have an aftermarket. At least, not for the taurus engine. At 200 hp, you should be happy. If you're not, SHOsource sells an underdrive pulley for ~$250 or so, and installation is killer. Anything more and it's more expensive and more difficult.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Topic finder helps, as does the search function. The 'tec doesn't have an aftermarket. At least, not for the taurus engine. At 200 hp, you should be happy. If you're not, SHOsource sells an underdrive pulley for ~$250 or so, and installation is killer. Anything more and it's more expensive and more difficult.
Haha, ok. Guess I should just hold out for quite a few years till I get a new-used-car.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
We can also do ported intakes.

You wont find many cheap upgrades due to a limited market.

Extremely limited.

Trust me buddy ever since I had my bull I was always looking for ways to make more power. I never found a way that wasn't in excess of $1000.

Except for NOS. but that's more power on demand... and I hate the idea of NOS.....sure if installed correctly and metered properly you'll be fine... but I would never run NOS on any of my daily drivers... I might on a drag car.. but that's about it. Even then I 99.999999999999% wouldn't.

·
Registered
374 Posts
lol, you guys just don't look hard enough :p

- Swap in cams from an SVT Contour or swap the heads, but you will need Nautilus Performance's split port to oval port lower intake manifold adapter if you go the head route.

- Seek out Jesse Kinger, his website (PnPHeads.com) is long gone, but I am sure he isn't dead. The flow numbers he could produce with Duratec heads was legendary.

- If you want to go FI route and don't want to do nitrous, call up Arizona Dyno Chip, at one time they did a low-cost turbo kit for Duratec-powered Contours/Cougars that produced some serious numbers. CEG'er suneil had a kit from ADC with the T3/T4 option, it hit 400 FWHP. Nautilus Performance also sells T3/T4 turbo kits starting at $3,300 which produce power starting at 275 FWHP.

- Want racier cams than the SVT's? Cat Cams sells race cams for the Duratec, but before slapping these higher lift cams in, you need to upgrade to the ST220 valve springs, which should still be able from BAT Inc.

- Nautilus Performance sells headers for the Contour/Cougar which may be able to be fitted to the Taurus, $265 just for the headers. If you think the y-pipe can be made to work as well, it adds $220 to the price.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I'll add my 2¢. To make more horsepower / torque easier for your engine you have to move air. The easier you move air in and out of your engine the more power you will generate.

And I'm not talkin' fancy stuff here. Here's what I did and I'm happy the results.

Custom oversized exhaust system, open the pipes up to a 0.25" to 0.5" in diameter. A word of caution with the exhaust pipes, my pipes are 0.25" oversized and I almost had trouble removing the oil filter between pipe and oil pan. Don't go too large as this may become a problem.

Next install a less restrictive air filter. I use the Green Filter myself.

Although I don't have numbers for before and after results. The engine seems to have more low and mid-range torque. Throttle response is excellent. You may be able to add a few more HP if burning premium or racing gas as well.

Keep in mind horsepower doesn't come cheap. With the Duratec's I would love to see what kind of numbers it produce if had twin-turbos? 400HP ??

If you are producing more HP/Torque than there are cubic inches, that's pretty efficient for a naturally aspirated engine in my book.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
lol, you guys just don't look hard enough :p

- Swap in cams from an SVT Contour or swap the heads, but you will need Nautilus Performance's split port to oval port lower intake manifold adapter if you go the head route.

- Seek out Jesse Kinger, his website (PnPHeads.com) is long gone, but I am sure he isn't dead. The flow numbers he could produce with Duratec heads was legendary.

- If you want to go FI route and don't want to do nitrous, call up Arizona Dyno Chip, at one time they did a low-cost turbo kit for Duratec-powered Contours/Cougars that produced some serious numbers. CEG'er suneil had a kit from ADC with the T3/T4 option, it hit 400 FWHP. Nautilus Performance also sells T3/T4 turbo kits starting at $3,300 which produce power starting at 275 FWHP.

- Want racier cams than the SVT's? Cat Cams sells race cams for the Duratec, but before slapping these higher lift cams in, you need to upgrade to the ST220 valve springs, which should still be able from BAT Inc.

- Nautilus Performance sells headers for the Contour/Cougar which may be able to be fitted to the Taurus, $265 just for the headers. If you think the y-pipe can be made to work as well, it adds $220 to the price.

-SVT Contour is a DOHC Duratec. If you have a Vulcan this will not work.
-Forced induction, well I already said it. 3,300 bucks is definitely in excess of 1,000 bucks. I never said it wasn't possible.. just not a feasable cheap way to make these engines make power. I've gone everywhere upwards sideways... It's expensive.

-The Vulcan had a aftermarket intake by Jason King. Idk where you can get one these days but I heard it flowed beyond what the Vulcan was capable of. It's going to be expensive.

-Racier cams, again I know not of a custom grinding route for the Vulcan. Morena Performance grinds them out for the Vulcan, but you can call crane cams and have them grind one out to your specifications. Again. Expensive.

As for the contour header well I'm not entirely sure that it would work without a serious exhaust build...probably expensive.

My post was saying sure its possible, but it's not going to be cheap.

For performance, talk to shoz123 (paul nimz) about an xcal tune.
Paul Nimz's tunes are great at unlocking hidden power (especially after power mods) but even Paul himself says to not expect noticeable power gains, but to notice a smoother driving experience.

·
Registered
374 Posts
-SVT Contour is a DOHC Duratec. If you have a Vulcan this will not work.
-Forced induction, well I already said it. 3,300 bucks is definitely in excess of 1,000 bucks. I never said it wasn't possible.. just not a feasable cheap way to make these engines make power. I've gone everywhere upwards sideways... It's expensive.

-The Vulcan had a aftermarket intake by Jason King. Idk where you can get one these days but I heard it flowed beyond what the Vulcan was capable of. It's going to be expensive.

-Racier cams, again I know not of a custom grinding route for the Vulcan. Morena Performance grinds them out for the Vulcan, but you can call crane cams and have them grind one out to your specifications. Again. Expensive.

As for the contour header well I'm not entirely sure that it would work without a serious exhaust build...probably expensive.

My post was saying sure its possible, but it's not going to be cheap.

Paul Nimz's tunes are great at unlocking hidden power (especially after power mods) but even Paul himself says to not expect noticeable power gains, but to notice a smoother driving experience.
Uhhh we are not talking about the Vulcan. The OP asked about performance parts/upgrades for the Duratec.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mondeo ST220 cams are also a great upgrade, dug up some of my old crib notes from when I last owned a Duratec 3.0. I never found a complete set of these and they are only available over the pond. I had some simulated dyno numbers which took into account the camshaft specifications and exact cylinder head flow data. I calculated the ST220 cams and some of the Cat Cams camshafts, based upon bone stock Duratec, only cams changed:

ST220:
253 BHP @ 6,500 RPM & 7,500 RPM
235 lb-ft @ 4,500 RPM

Cat Cams # 2394062
260 BHP @ 7,500 RPM (With 257 BHP @ 6,500 to 7,000 RPM)
234 lb-ft @ 5,000 RPM

Cat Cams # 2394064
259 BHP @ 7,500 RPM (With 257 BHP @ 6,500 to 7,000 RPM)
227 lb-ft @ 5,000 RPM

There are a handful more, but the primary focus of the majority of Cat Cams' cams for the Duratec are full-out race, 'Tecs that have had their rod and main bearings replaced (These are the main weak point of the rotating assembly, Clevite 77 Tri-Metals are recommended) and allow them to open up to 8,000 RPM and above. Cat Cams' for the Duratec are currently priced at $1,908 given the current exchange rate.

Beyond that, it was mentioned mix-matching cams might be an avenue to explore, I don't know if anyone at CEG actually did it, but.. there are a number of factory Duratec cams with different profiles, commonly identified by their color stripe:

Ford Escape - The Duratecs in these get their own set of cams designed for more low end torque.

Mazda 6/Ford Fusion - The Duratecs in these also get their own set of cams, the intake cams have variable valve timing actuators made onto the cam gear which makes it unusable in a swap. The exhaust cam, however, was pointed out as having great potential in a turbo'ed Duratec.

SVT Contour - Already discussed.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Uhhh we are not talking about the Vulcan. The OP asked about performance parts/upgrades for the Duratec.
I read Vulcan... My bad :p

·
Registered
671 Posts
I read Vulcan... My bad :p
I think when somebody pipes in with "my car's slow" we automatically assume vulcan. On that note, I got my buddy with an Impreza WRX to admit my car was alright. B)

But 84FordMan, while these are all great ideas for people to make tons of power, they aren't on a budget. I know when it comes to small-block street monsters, a budget means $5, but with a taurus daily driver? I don't think people want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, and usually not all at once. When I first started out, $400 for a flash tuner was outrageous. I accept $60 a week in gas as a part of my addiction, but that's not what everybody wants.

So to the OP, you can get an aftermarket muffler to free up a fraction of a horsepower. Maybe run some seafoam through your engine to get it running closer to factory. I've had good luck with iridium plugs for throttle response. An SCT tune for premium fuel would be your best bet, though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL - did you ever solve the starting problem?
Haha, I did, thanks for asking. It was actually the alternator...cost grand total of ~$750.. dang it :angry:

Thanks everyone for putting in some advice, but it doesn't sound a horsepower enhancement will come "cheap", huh? Did I see someone mentioning a performance chip, though? :eek:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Haha, I did, thanks for asking. It was actually the alternator...cost grand total of ~$750.. dang it :angry:

Thanks everyone for putting in some advice, but it doesn't sound a horsepower enhancement will come "cheap", huh? Did I see someone mentioning a performance chip, though? :eek:
Just the XCal tuner. See SHOZ123 for it. It's not going to be cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.