Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 GL with the 3.0L engine with only 43,850 original miles on it. I had my last oil change done in the first part of May. I check my fluids reqularly when I get gas or once a week. This week I had to add one quart. Is this normal to have to add a quart every once in a while?

·
Registered
116 Posts
depending on what brand yes it is regular, but if u change most likely changing brands will stop the problem, i like castrol and mobil, and also trop artic, and for last motorcraft,

if it came with motorcraft try changing back it may solve problems with oil

only brands id use in my cars

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree. depending on the oil, it could be normal. I use motorcraft 5w-30 with a FRAM Tough Guard filter, year round. I've so far had no leaks (knocks on wood) so I stick with what works. Was going to switch to Castrol GTX High Mileage (My car has 102k on it) but they don't make 5w-30, so I stuck with motorcraft.

If that doesn't help, then I would check the simple things first. Are you burning any oil? If not, are you filling it to full capacity?

check for leaks around your oil filter and drain bolt. My drain bolt has a plastic/rubber ring around it, and it rotted out and i was dripping oil. replaced it and its fine.

Also, someone at the shop that changed your oil may not have gotten it tight enough. The filter should be hand tight, and the drain bolt tightened until it doesn't turn anymore. Just don't crank on it too hard.

good luck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am not dripping any oil. I take my car to the dealer for the oil change so I think they use motorcraft.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I think according to the dealer, it's ok to burn about a quart of oil per 1000 miles. However with that kind of mileage that would be a lot of oil being burned.

So if you check all the time, did you notice it going down slowly or was it sort of an all of a sudden you're down one quart after a week? I'm assuming that you're checking the oil the same way every time, on a flat level surface with the oil cold. Of course if the engine is still hot, all the oil may not have drained back down so you could get different reading depending on whether it's hot or cold.

·
Registered
341 Posts
yeah. gotta check it when its cold. if you overfill too much, you run the risk of blowing out the rings. then you have blowby to deal with, and that's like forget-fixing-it-replace-the-engine time.

i would check the oil every morning before you drove it. see how much and how fast its going down day by day.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
How were your driving habits the week you lost a quart of oil? RPMs high or low? Right now, I have a bad rear main seal, it only leaks when I take it into high RPMs, but if I keep it around 2kRPMs it doesn't leak. When it does leak, it bleeds like a stuck pig. I've lost a quart and a half from like 2 or 3 three races, of course, I didn't know what was leaking before I raced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts