Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my '00 ses totalled and I replaced it with a '05 se.

The 05 does not have keyless entry like the '00.

I would like to add it to the 05 because a service tech at the dealership said I might be able to swap the module from the 00 to the 05. We looked into it and tried to swap the entire 00 GEM (i think thats what it is called.) with the 05 since the plug in module that controls that function was not removable in the 05.

It did not work as the 05 did not start after.
So we figured that they were to dissimilar and verified it by some manuals. I could buy the OEM part from Ford but it would cost $220.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this? How did it go? Any pit falls?
Costs? Could something be found at a junk yard instead of the dealer?

Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I would go find a junkyard and look for a smart junction box from a 2004-2007 Taurus or 2004-2005 Mercury Sable. The box should be marked "HIGH" on the side. Any markings of DRL should be avoided.
See the side of the box as an example of the DRL :

That would be the right hand next to the brake pedal.

I would grab one from a 2004 SEL or 2004-5 Sable LS, those are guaranteed to have the right box (high series with the clicker) but no DRL functionality. The self service yard here has charged me anywhere from 25-35 in the past if I grab it. The "high" box has built in functionality for remote keyless entry, keypad entry, autolamp, etc.

Of course if you want DRL, then the box pictured above was removed from a 2005 Taurus that had em w/keypad, keyless, etc functionality.

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great thanks for the info Bull Geek

Does this require reprogramming of the keys themselves? I understand the clickers need reprogrammed.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
i went through the same issue but im just going to add a viper alarm system this summer its a bit expensive but definetly a good investment.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Keys are unaffected. Just program remotes.

You'll also have to add a relay for the trunk popper to function, and an additional wire tapped off of another to add driver door unlock, otherwise, hitting the button will just turn on lights, second click will unlock all doors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keys are unaffected. Just program remotes.

You'll also have to add a relay for the trunk popper to function, and an additional wire tapped off of another to add driver door unlock, otherwise, hitting the button will just turn on lights, second click will unlock all doors.
oh! its not just plug and play? Are there instructions to do this around?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You'll want to pick up a wiring diagram off of eBay for an 2005 Taurus. Gentz added it to his 2003 (which uses a Central Junction Box/GEM setup , a tiny bit different). You should pop over to taurus.owners and check out the thread he answered some questions in about this. I wouldn't call it difficult...just "tapping" into a couple of wires and running some power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll want to pick up a wiring diagram off of eBay for an 2005 Taurus. Gentz added it to his 2003 (which uses a Central Junction Box/GEM setup , a tiny bit different). You should pop over to taurus.owners and check out the thread he answered some questions in about this. I wouldn't call it difficult...just "tapping" into a couple of wires and running some power.
Link?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
TCCA blocked links to the other forum. If you search google for taurus.owners (without the period). Go under the electronics subforum, you will see a thread titled smart junction box. And Cursed with Gen 4.5 DRLs thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts