81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 11 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=790946
QUOTE (5.0_CJ @ Mar 11 2010, 02:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=790839
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 8 2009, 02:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=765546
Nope only comes on when you unlock with the keyfob or the keypad.[/b]
I'm going to pull this thread from the pits of hell to just clarify what I've read over the last several pages. I have a 2001 SES, if I install any 02-07 GEM from a vehicle which had keyless entry (meaning the door number pad, right?) I should have illuminated entry? Early in the thread, you mentioned that your vehicle must have the auto lamps feature - My '01 SES does not have the auto lamps feature... do I need the switch with the forth selection present? If so, I'm assuming all I would need would be an '02-07 GEM with keyless entry (with the 4 digit code on the GEM) and an auto lamp headlight switch?
[/b][/quote]
Terms:
GEM=Generic Electronics Module
Keyless Entry=keypad on the door
Remote Keyless Entry=clicker/keyfob

You have to install the GEM from a 2002-2003 model.

All SES and SEL Taurus models, as well as all LS Premium Sables will have the GEM you need. The SE Taurus and GS Sable could have had it deleted by a fleet, so those are a hit/miss.

There are two types of GEMs:
Without remote keyless entry
With remote keyless entry

Ones with remote keyless entry already have the built in capability for autolamp as well as keypad. Just have to add the wiring for these features to function if you don't already have them.

When you hit unlock on your keyfob on a car that doesn't have AutoLamp, all lights will illuminate except your headlights.

Are you wanting to add a keypad as well as AutoLamp to your car?
[/b][/quote]

You cleared up a lot there. I appreciate you taking the time. I'd rather not add a key pad to my car, I like my doors the way they are :) Will I need to add the auto lamps light switch for the lighted entry? I'm assuming not. Sounds dead simple... take a GEM from an 02-03 SES-SEL and plug it in. There is an awful lot of over complicated dialog in this thread if that's really how simple it is.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Multiple different mods were happening in the same thread :lol:

If you want your parking lights up front and in the rear, as well as the license plate bulbs, and interior lights to turn on, you do not need to add autolamp.

If you want the headlights to turn on, you'll have to add autolamp to your car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 11 2010, 08:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=790976

If you want your parking lights up front and in the rear, as well as the license plate bulbs, and interior lights to turn on, you do not need to add autolamp.

If you want the headlights to turn on, you'll have to add autolamp to your car.[/b]
The entire thread needs to be shrunk to just these last 3 posts if you ask me, that's about every question I had summed up. Thanks a lot for the info.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
QUOTE (5.0_CJ @ Mar 17 2010, 01:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791780

If you want the headlights to turn on, you'll have to add autolamp to your car.[/b]
The entire thread needs to be shrunk to just these last 3 posts if you ask me, that's about every question I had summed up. Thanks a lot for the info.
[/b][/quote]
I'll split the topic up one of these days...not a bad idea.

Good luck getting it installed in your car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 17 2010, 06:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791936
QUOTE (5.0_CJ @ Mar 17 2010, 01:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791780

[/b][/quote]
I'll split the topic up one of these days...not a bad idea.

Good luck getting it installed in your car.
[/b][/quote]

Well, I found an 02 SE with puddle lamps (which I took). Where exactly is the GEM located? I looked under the dash, most of the components were already gone... I didn't see what I was looking for, is there any pictures or a diagram anywhere?

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (5.0_CJ @ Mar 11 2010, 09:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=790966
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 11 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=790946
QUOTE (5.0_CJ @ Mar 11 2010, 02:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=790839
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 8 2009, 02:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=765546
Nope only comes on when you unlock with the keyfob or the keypad.[/b]
I'm going to pull this thread from the pits of hell to just clarify what I've read over the last several pages. I have a 2001 SES, if I install any 02-07 GEM from a vehicle which had keyless entry (meaning the door number pad, right?) I should have illuminated entry? Early in the thread, you mentioned that your vehicle must have the auto lamps feature - My '01 SES does not have the auto lamps feature... do I need the switch with the forth selection present? If so, I'm assuming all I would need would be an '02-07 GEM with keyless entry (with the 4 digit code on the GEM) and an auto lamp headlight switch?
[/b][/quote]
Terms:
GEM=Generic Electronics Module
Keyless Entry=keypad on the door
Remote Keyless Entry=clicker/keyfob

You have to install the GEM from a 2002-2003 model.

All SES and SEL Taurus models, as well as all LS Premium Sables will have the GEM you need. The SE Taurus and GS Sable could have had it deleted by a fleet, so those are a hit/miss.

There are two types of GEMs:
Without remote keyless entry
With remote keyless entry

Ones with remote keyless entry already have the built in capability for autolamp as well as keypad. Just have to add the wiring for these features to function if you don't already have them.

When you hit unlock on your keyfob on a car that doesn't have AutoLamp, all lights will illuminate except your headlights.

Are you wanting to add a keypad as well as AutoLamp to your car?
[/b][/quote]

You cleared up a lot there. I appreciate you taking the time. I'd rather not add a key pad to my car, I like my doors the way they are :) Will I need to add the auto lamps light switch for the lighted entry? I'm assuming not. Sounds dead simple... take a GEM from an 02-03 SES-SEL and plug it in. There is an awful lot of over complicated dialog in this thread if that's really how simple it is.
[/b][/quote]

So here is my first post. I have found alot of great info here. I have installed a GEM from a 2003 Sable and re-programed the FOBs. Everything works great! My next project is to add autolamps. I have gone through the posts and have not found clear instructions for this installation. I have an autolamp switch, cowl with sunload switch and wire harness from 2002 SEL. I need to wire everything up. I would appreciate any help with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Adding Autolamps to a 2001 SES

According to Topic Finder this is the place for my question. I have a 2001 SES that I'm wanting to add Autolamps to and also lighted entry (with headlights on). I have a scrapyard 2003 SES GEM, 2001 Sable headlight switch and photo sensor. I've installed the GEM and after reprogramming the key-fob the lighted unlock functions OK minus the headlights (I do have Autolamp functionality issues - read on).

I've read and reread as many topics as I can find on this how-to. Upon hooking the Autolamp up as I think it should be (based upon the best how-to I could find for 2004-2007 cars) correct. Here's what happens...in the auto postion ("A") the parking lights only come and stay on regardless of light or dark. In addition there is no headlights with key-fob initiated unlock (just all other lights that are supposed to come on).

I've read that the photo-sensor can be the culprit for lights staying on regardless of dark, but I don't think this explains my issues does it.

I'd appreciate any help form the forum.

Here is how I've wired the Autolamps:
1) photo-sensor - pin 5 to grounding point G200.
2) photo-sensor - pin 2 to pin 14 on C201b.
3) photo-sensor - pin1, unused.
4) switch - pin 7 to pin 5 on C201b.

·
Registered
173 Posts
According to Topic Finder this is the place for my question. I have a 2001 SES that I'm wanting to add Autolamps to and also lighted entry (with headlights on). I have a scrapyard 2003 SES GEM, 2001 Sable headlight switch and photo sensor. I've installed the GEM and after reprogramming the key-fob the lighted unlock functions OK minus the headlights (I do have Autolamp functionality issues - read on).

I've read and reread as many topics as I can find on this how-to. Upon hooking the Autolamp up as I think it should be (based upon the best how-to I could find for 2004-2007 cars) correct. Here's what happens...in the auto postion ("A") the parking lights only come and stay on regardless of light or dark. In addition there is no headlights with key-fob initiated unlock (just all other lights that are supposed to come on).

I've read that the photo-sensor can be the culprit for lights staying on regardless of dark, but I don't think this explains my issues does it.

I'd appreciate any help form the forum.

Here is how I've wired the Autolamps:
1) photo-sensor - pin 5 to grounding point G200.
2) photo-sensor - pin 2 to pin 14 on C201b.
3) photo-sensor - pin1, unused.
4) switch - pin 7 to pin 5 on C201b.
Grr I want all my lights to go on without the headlights lol! lucky... :p For you though the photo sensor, do you have an Eatc or manual? If i remember correctly the EATC used the photo sensor correct me if I am wrong lol. Oh yeah, where did you get the photo sensor? junk yard?

Ps something is wrong with the autolamps, I just read the headlights won't go on if you don't have the lamps. lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you so much, Bull Geek, outatyme and thesavo, for all the info and advice in this thread! I've had "option envy" of my wife's '05 Taurus (lighted entry) and other electrical problems (low coolant level light on, intermittent window/interior light operation) but have upgraded and fixed with an '03 GEM, keypad and re-pinning. TCCA is awesome!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
:) congratulations!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I took the box out of my 2002 Sable GS, and I want to put it in my 2000 Sable GS.

Can someone verify for me real quick that the 2002 box will work in the 2000 and vice versa?

I want lighted entry in the 2000, I only care if the 2002 runs. ;)

2000 Part #: YF1T-14B205-CE
2002 Part #: 2F1T-14B205-CB

Also I've seen a lot of different part numbers in this topic, none of which match mine... what's the difference between all these GEMs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well I ended up doing the swap anyway... it all works great! Finally I have lighted unlock!

*Note* that getting the box back into its bracket is a major PITA.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.