Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
all auctions for GEMS fitment both 02 and 03 on eBay.
Obtain from SE, SES, SEL all the same GEM.
Best bet is SE or SES, the autolamp relays were never used

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
:werd: Just get a GEM from a 02-03 Taurus (or Sable) that had remote keyless entry (it will have a tear off tag with your new keypad code). Most SE Tauruses and GS Sables had remote keyless unless it was deleted. All the SES/SEL Tauruses and LS Prem. Sables had remote keyless.

Otherwise, they say "BASE" on them if they lack remote keyless entry.

·
Registered
151 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Sep 15 2009, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753590
QUOTE (outatyme @ Sep 15 2009, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753568
just the fobs. keys are handled by PATS which is handled by the PCM
oh yeah with that circuit i built the headlamps and parklamps and dash lamps come on alongside the dome.
IT would have to be adapted to the G4's electrical system though. unless you're talking about the
GEM swap. that would be best in your case. swap it with an 02 or 03 SEL w/autolamp GEM.
it will do what you want for sure.[/b]
Well I know Ford made two types of GEMs: one for remote keyless entry, and one for not. Remote keyless entry GEMs have built in autolamp and keypad capabilities. Well hot dang man :eek: That's pretty coool! Excellent work :thumb: Now to find a 02-03 GEM with RKE...
[/b][/quote]
Is this why even though mine has no keypad it comes with a key code imprinted on a credit card like card in the owners guide? I have remote keyless, but no key pad...

·
Registered
4 Posts
alright, thanks for the quick reply guys. been searchin around on the internet, and i'm seeing some that are 250 - 300 bucks! is there any cheaper ones? what if i went to the junkyard how much do ya think theyll charge?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
Registered
4 Posts
there is an auto wreckers in my city wher i can go out and pick what i want and come back and pay, i dont know if its called u pull it or not though. its pretty big too.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
QUOTE (eats7 @ Oct 17 2009, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=760596
there is an auto wreckers in my city wher i can go out and pick what i want and come back and pay, i dont know if its called u pull it or not though. its pretty big too.[/b]
Where are you located? What's it called?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
IIRC from a past thread about doing these kinds of mods, Gen 3 GEM's and Gen 4 GEM's are not directly interchangeable. The plug connectors aren't the same, I suppose.

Edited- per Mitchell OnDemand:
Gen 3 GEM (all models)- P/N XF1Z-14B205-AA

Gen 4 GEM (02-03 w/ RKE)- P/N 2F1Z-14B205-HB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, Great info here.
I've got a couple questions along these lines...
I have a 2000 SEL duratec and the autolight function is not working, and neither is the door keypad. Do you think a GEM swap will solve these issues? I'm going to the u-pull-it this weekend, so I may be able to pick one up there.
I haven't really played with this cars wiring yet, so is the GEM the grey box under the dash near the fuse box? Is it an easy plug n play connector, or will I have to cut a big cluster of wires and splice it back in?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Nick and I have been going back and forth on the phone.

I have a hook up at LKQ. He pulled the first GEM out of an 02 but the Gem was from a 2000

He pulled the second one out of an 03 and it is Model number

2F1T-14B205-CB with a keycode of 2347

According to my conversations with Nick I should be able to just replace it, reprogram my key fob and I will have lighted entry on my 2000 SES

Is everyone in agreement?

Mike
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
You are set Mike. Holla if you need some help. That's the part # mine has.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 5 2009, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=765000
You are set Mike. Holla if you need some help. That's the part # mine has.[/b]

:woot: I am so proud of how my little Nicky has grown up all big and smart

Mike
:woot:

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I just changed the Gem and this is what happened
I repgrammed the key fob

I hit unlock and the parking lots come on for around 30 seconds.

I hit lock and it locks the doors and honks just like before, No lights.

I thought it would do it in the lock and unlock position or am I missing something?

Mike
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Nope only comes on when you unlock with the keyfob or the keypad.

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 8 2009, 02:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=765546
Nope only comes on when you unlock with the keyfob or the keypad.[/b]
I'm going to pull this thread from the pits of hell to just clarify what I've read over the last several pages. I have a 2001 SES, if I install any 02-07 GEM from a vehicle which had keyless entry (meaning the door number pad, right?) I should have illuminated entry? Early in the thread, you mentioned that your vehicle must have the auto lamps feature - My '01 SES does not have the auto lamps feature... do I need the switch with the forth selection present? If so, I'm assuming all I would need would be an '02-07 GEM with keyless entry (with the 4 digit code on the GEM) and an auto lamp headlight switch?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
QUOTE (5.0_CJ @ Mar 11 2010, 02:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=790839
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Nov 8 2009, 02:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=765546
Nope only comes on when you unlock with the keyfob or the keypad.[/b]
I'm going to pull this thread from the pits of hell to just clarify what I've read over the last several pages. I have a 2001 SES, if I install any 02-07 GEM from a vehicle which had keyless entry (meaning the door number pad, right?) I should have illuminated entry? Early in the thread, you mentioned that your vehicle must have the auto lamps feature - My '01 SES does not have the auto lamps feature... do I need the switch with the forth selection present? If so, I'm assuming all I would need would be an '02-07 GEM with keyless entry (with the 4 digit code on the GEM) and an auto lamp headlight switch?
[/b][/quote]
Terms:
GEM=Generic Electronics Module
Keyless Entry=keypad on the door
Remote Keyless Entry=clicker/keyfob

You have to install the GEM from a 2002-2003 model.

All SES and SEL Taurus models, as well as all LS Premium Sables will have the GEM you need. The SE Taurus and GS Sable could have had it deleted by a fleet, so those are a hit/miss.

There are two types of GEMs:
Without remote keyless entry
With remote keyless entry

Ones with remote keyless entry already have the built in capability for autolamp as well as keypad. Just have to add the wiring for these features to function if you don't already have them.

When you hit unlock on your keyfob on a car that doesn't have AutoLamp, all lights will illuminate except your headlights.

Are you wanting to add a keypad as well as AutoLamp to your car?

61 - 80 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.