Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Sep 24 2009, 10:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755511
QUOTE (thesavo @ Sep 24 2009, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755509
I was right. 2000's do use Gen3 keypads[/b]
And 2000 only gem's.

.....damn. :glare:
[/b][/quote]
It;s ok. when you are @ pull-a-part. get a 2001 and up KEypad,. it;s onlly a little more work.
and it usees LESS not MORE circuits. Tape off the Green/red and Yellow/black. and Ground the Brown wire. Simple.
Even better - re-purpose the gr/rd or ye/bk for your New puddle lamps ha! ha! :makeadeal:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
QUOTE (thesavo @ Sep 24 2009, 11:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755515
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Sep 24 2009, 10:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755511
QUOTE (thesavo @ Sep 24 2009, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755509
I was right. 2000's do use Gen3 keypads[/b]
And 2000 only gem's.

.....damn. :glare:
[/b][/quote]
It;s ok. when you are @ pull-a-part. get a 2001 and up KEypad,. it;s onlly a little more work.
and it usees LESS not MORE circuits. Tape off the Green/red and Yellow/black. and Ground the Brown wire. Simple.
Even better - repurpose the gr/rd and ye/bk for your New puddle lamps. ha! ha!:sign:
[/b][/quote]
The Pull A Part place has 01-03s but none of them have a keypad. Booo.

So I guess I need to get a 01-03 keypad like you said...buuuut, do I need to get any wiring after the harness? Or can i just unclip it and properly pin/depin it to match my current incar one?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
You will need to make an intermediate harness like I did for the diodes. IF you get 2 of those 8 pin connectors you can make one with out cutting.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
QUOTE (thesavo @ Sep 24 2009, 11:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755518
You will need to make an intermediate harness like I did for the diodes. IF you get 2 of those 8 pin connectors you can make one with out cutting.[/b]
That sounds like a good plan. Make an intermediate harness and properly run the wires in the door, then properly wire it @ the GEM. That way I don't cut up/hack up as much?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Sep 24 2009, 10:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755523
QUOTE (thesavo @ Sep 24 2009, 11:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755518
You will need to make an intermediate harness like I did for the diodes. IF you get 2 of those 8 pin connectors you can make one with out cutting.[/b]
That sounds like a good plan. Make an intermediate harness and properly run the wires in the door, then properly wire it @ the GEM. That way I don't cut up/hack up as much?
[/b][/quote]
Yes. Sounds good to me. Get your self a male and female keypad connector. They are also under the car. passenger side middle vehicle somewhere. For fuel control to pump
and also headlamps.
Also found on explorers rear bumper area for tow capabilities.
you will need 8 female pins and 6 male pins exactly. but get extras for f* up reasons.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (outatyme @ Sep 24 2009, 10:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755521
Hummm i know the T boned SEL I showed bullgeek that I got the 2000 GEM out of was an early production too.
The GEM from that car worked in the cousins 01 SES perfectly when i tested it. with the 01 CJB and all.
That car has a full undamaged TS door keypad on it too.

http://tcca.spindrive.mine.nu/pics/junkyar...el/DSCF1315.JPG[/b]
Perhaps 01 use Gen3 keypads too. or it;s an early model 2001.
anyone got a book to confirm?

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (outatyme @ Sep 25 2009, 11:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755571
I've ran through the wiring diagrams and 2000-2003 GEM's are all identical EXCEPT for how the driver door keypad is wired on the 2000.
They will all interchange safely with one another.[/b]
I concur. Some of the wordings of the functions are in question. But i think that it will bolt up fine.

Here is an updated pinout. With notes for a 2000 keypad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Cool...off to the Pull A Part tomorrow morning then...or maybe I'll go this afternoon. There's a fresh 98 SE Comfort with the windows rolled up, I can use the harnessing from it.

Make the correct intermediate harness, swap in the new GEM and I should be in business :D I got the GEM @ the yard yesterday for $17 (and I snipped the harnesses from it).

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Just to confirm: It would be of no benifit for me with 2003 SES to get a gem from a SEL right?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
QUOTE (thesavo @ Sep 26 2009, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755794
Just to confirm: It would be of no benifit for me with 2003 SES to get a gem from a SEL right?[/b]
Yea...there are only two types of GEMs: one for cars that use the clicker remote, and ones that don't. You have the "best" GEM already.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Sep 26 2009, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755796
QUOTE (thesavo @ Sep 26 2009, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755794
Just to confirm: It would be of no benifit for me with 2003 SES to get a gem from a SEL right?[/b]
Yea...there are only two types of GEMs: one for cars that use the clicker remote, and ones that don't. You have the "best" GEM already.
[/b][/quote]
That is what I thought. wanted to make sure..
Grab as many GEM harnii as you can the pins can be used for other connectors. Like the 'odd' washer pin in C201b that is the only different pin. and in a grouping of 2x2 can be used in C270. the main Central junction Box connectors. Now the regular gem pins can be used in C2009 the ICP (radio section). and possily others.

If this works out Nick, you can re purpose one of the remaining key pad wires. De pin it from the GEM connector. Clip the Gem pin from it, connectit to where ever your added Puddle lamps are currently connected. You can get rid of that (not to shabby) harnees you added.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
outatyme i was just looking over the thread...kinda took it over from it's intended purpose, lol. Sorry...would you like me to split my G4 GEM questioning to a new thread or is it cool?

And I guess while I'm posting, two thoughts came to mind:

1) If I'm to swap a 2001+ keypad onto my door, won't that remove the need to create an intermediate harness? Since the 2000 keypad has seperate inputs for each button, and it looks like the 2001+ combine some of the buttons into one lead. Does that happen at the keypad or later down the chain of wiring?

2.) If I am making the harness...can I splice the two wires that were previously seperate into the 1 wire lead, thus negating the need to do any soldering, etc?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I did some more looking this morning. Also talked to thesavo last night about this as well. The C500 connector definitely changed (as you posted/indicated). So if I get a 01+ keypad, like you said, properly arrange the pins in the C500 connector, I should have a 01+ keypad working w/the 02+ GEM.

I finally fixed the issue with my 96-02 service DVD, here are the connector views for C500 for 2000 and 2001+ models.

[attachment=30844:C500_2001Up.pdf]
[attachment=30843:C500_2000.pdf]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well I ran out of daylight. Only gashed up my hand twice on the OBD-II bracket...I noticed red drops on the carpet, oops...lol. But I got the old assembly out, swapped on the new GEM. Bolted down the very top bolt that is a PITA. Just the other two bolts, then the 2 10mm nuts, repin the white connector, and then swap the door keypad & repin the in door harness. Should be a good morning activity.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Nick you got to remove the ODB bracket. Makes it so much easier. Glad you got it in though.
I am looking @ the news to see if SC catches fire.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
93 Replies
20 Participants
raybob95
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing