Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woah woah woah...hold up. You put a 02 GEM into a 2001? I'd like to hear more about that...

[edit]
Per discovery by TCCA member outatyme, you can add lighted unlock to your 2000-1 Ford Taurus assuming it has a factory keyless remote/clicker and/or a factory molded into the door handle keyPAD.

You will need a GEM module (this is screwed and snapped into the back of the "fusebox" also known as the fusebox/central junction box, from a:

2002-3 Taurus SE (some can have fleet delete, check if there is a tearoff keypad code on the unit, that will confirm if it has RKE-remote keyless entry)
SES or SEL

2002-3 Mercury Sable GS or LS Prem (GS can have fleet delete like the Taurus SE).

If you drive a 2000 model with a keypad molded into the door, you will need a 2001-2007 Taurus/2001-2005 Sable keypad. You have to alter the wiring slightly (just removing a couple of wires, and switching slots on the connector, nothing major).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (outatyme @ Sep 15 2009, 11:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753425
Hummmmmm Thats wierd! it was from a mid year 02 SE around or after 05/02 i just pulled the I/P fuse panel
out with the GEM strapped to the rear and removed the bolt, unsnapped it, snapped the new one in place and put
the fuse panel back in. hooked everything back up. This wont work frmo 04+ because of the CAN bus they have
going on. same as the 04+ cluster it uses the medium and high speed CAN bus to operate. Anyways I didnt swap
any pins or anything. it was plug+play

note: cousin says it was an 02 SE i pulled the donor gem from.

he gained parking brake tone alert and perimeter lamps illuminated entry (park lamps only)[/b]
:eek: Really...this confirms a few things I (and I'm sure others were wondering). I don't want to risk frying my car's electrical system, but maybe a future project with a second car. Didn't you have to reprogram the keys and remotes for the car?

I would never want a 2004+ GEM. It dings too much and too loudly at everything anyways. 2000-1s are quieter and don't ding as much at things. As you noticed, 02-3s ding at a few more things.

·
Banned
2,124 Posts
yeah i was wanting the illuminated entry myself a while back but i would kinda like if the headlights would turn on too but w/e

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
Everyone was suspecting that GEMs need to be programed. I think that it is safe to say this.
Gen 4.0 GEMs 2001 - 2002 are compatible and DO NOT need programming.

We know that GEMs from 2002 and 2003 are compatible from threads of yore!.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (outatyme @ Sep 15 2009, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753568
just the fobs. keys are handled by PATS which is handled by the PCM
oh yeah with that circuit i built the headlamps and parklamps and dash lamps come on alongside the dome.
IT would have to be adapted to the G4's electrical system though. unless you're talking about the
GEM swap. that would be best in your case. swap it with an 02 or 03 SEL w/autolamp GEM.
it will do what you want for sure.[/b]
Well I know Ford made two types of GEMs: one for remote keyless entry, and one for not. Remote keyless entry GEMs have built in autolamp and keypad capabilities. Well hot dang man :eek: That's pretty coool! Excellent work :thumb: Now to find a 02-03 GEM with RKE...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (outatyme @ Sep 16 2009, 10:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753670
Nick, let me know what trim level and year you want a GEM from and I'll keep my eyes out for one in the yards I visit.
LoL just like you periodically I have to visit the yards I'm sure I could get one for cheap. I've often fantasized about
putting a 2000+gem in a G3. Maybe if I ever get a project car I will. What i've been keeping my eye out for in the yards
for me is a G3 gold paint code DZ or DD driver door handle with the keyless keypad. none of the local yards ever get em in.
I did see a TS one off of a 01 bull though. oh yeah side note about my circuit for G3's. I really think I need to tie this into the
door triggers to kill it when a door opens. it's nice how it works now but if you fob unlock and get in before the illuminated entry request
expires then close the door the headlamps are still on. so at this point if you turned the car over they'd immediately turn out
as would the interior lamps. but if you turned the manual dimmer switch up to turn the dome light they wouldnt go out until
you turned it back off. not a major issue but something I dont like too much.[/b]
Hmmm...well I guess an 02-03 SE/SES/SEL or GS/LS Premium that has remote keyless entry. I don't want a car that has DRLs as my SEL has AutoLamps. It will have to have the keypad keycode tag as well so I can program it with my personal code. If you see one, shoot me a message :) I need to figure out how to tell if a car has DRLs on a 00-03.

As far as a keypad door handle...there was a 96 LX gold in color, at a junkyard up the road from me. When I go to it October you want me to grab it? They don't charge jack for much of anything. It had the keypad on it last I was there.

I'm sure you can figure out the wiring issue.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
DRLs. Wouldn't the presence or absence of the DRL resistor work.
Perhaps not if the P/O removed it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm confused, isn't the auto lamp function supposed to turn on all your lights when you unlock the doors/delay the lights from going off so you can have illuminated exit as well?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (mmmfloorpie @ Sep 17 2009, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=754082
I'm confused, isn't the auto lamp function supposed to turn on all your lights when you unlock the doors/delay the lights from going off so you can have illuminated exit as well?[/b]
(On a 2000-1) If you had (A) on, and your lights were turned on before you turned off your car, then they will stay on for 20 sec after car was turned off. However, if you had (A) on but your lights had not kicked on, then you get no exit illumination except for interior lighting.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Just thowing some ideas around:

Make the illuminated entry turn on when it's dark instead of every time unlock is pressed on the fob.

Also Dodge had a pretty cool headlight delay feature. If you turned off the headlights before you turn off the ignition, there's no headlight delay. If you turned off the ignition before turning off the headlights, the headlights would stay lit for an extra 10-20 seconds (parking lights and dash lights went off instantly).

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Sep 20 2009, 01:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=754452

Make the illuminated entry turn on when it's dark instead of every time unlock is pressed on the fob.

Also Dodge had a pretty cool headlight delay feature. If you turned off the headlights before you turn off the ignition, there's no headlight delay. If you turned off the ignition before turning off the headlights, the headlights would stay lit for an extra 10-20 seconds (parking lights and dash lights went off instantly).[/b]
my dads '97 Cherokee sport had that. and a digital ODO.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Sep 20 2009, 01:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=754452

Also Dodge had a pretty cool headlight delay feature. If you turned off the headlights before you turn off the ignition, there's no headlight delay. If you turned off the ignition before turning off the headlights, the headlights would stay lit for an extra 10-20 seconds (parking lights and dash lights went off instantly).[/b]
That wouldn't be to hard? As I know, the sunload is a Photo resistor. Open is either dark or not dark.
Experiment, have it trigger a relay when dark. Then have this be the first trigger relay.

If not dark. Don't trigger the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (outatyme @ Sep 24 2009, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755468
off topic but I've successfully added autolamps to my cousins 01 SES.
the headlights now turn on with the perimeter lamps illuminated entry feature.
the only problem I'm having is the autolamps seem to be on all the time iin the A headlamp switch position.
I'm suspecting the photo sensor / amplifier we got from the yard.

PARTS: autolamp headlamp switch
Photo sensor / amplifier.

The different GEM's dont seem to care if they're programmed for autolamps or not if they're present they just work.
the perimeter lamps illuminated entry feature DOES seem to be software controlled 02 se+.
The autolamp relays should be present in all 2000-2003 CJB's / I/P fuse panels.
More details later.[/b]
There are 5 relays soldered in the CJB. They are outside of a PCB sandwich. No getting behind them to desolder when they go bad.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting the GEM tmrw. I'll snip the accompanying harnesses so I can compare them to my ride and the wiring diagrams.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thesavo and I were comparing diagrams. No good...my 3rd connector:

...link removed...see down the page for updated pinout...

C201c is going to have keypad issues. Arggggggggg. Now what to do...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
93 Replies
20 Participants
raybob95
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing