1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Finding a handle with the keypad in Spruce Green will be the first hurdle,

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
The handle is tricky to get out. I did this 4 years ago. I really don't remember much from the install. What I do remember is that freeing up the handle wasn't easy. There was a lot of rotation and wiggling.

I think in hind sight, if you can free the rods from the door striker. It may be easier to get the handle on the pull rod.

Sent from Autoguide Free on Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkautoguidefree.activity

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Getting it out may take 10-30 minutes or so and it is tricky. I will put mine in during my next vacation. Let the fun begin. There's should be a few write ups in both forums I think. The real tricky part is if your car is like mine and the keypad wiring has to be added. Then you'll need to add pins to both sides of the canister on the door it will be an awesome addition to your car. So as the guy said grab as much as the wiring as possible and get the door canister off the SEL's door and [the SEL's or Sable's SJB isn't needed but if says "DRL High" & you want DRL grab it] too while you have the"SEL" at your disposal. It's alot of wire. I only have enough factory wire to "Jerryrig".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
You'll also need the handle from a late build 2003 or a 2004 for it to match. I can't recall when Ford killed off Spruce Green (may have been '05)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The code will be on the side of the SEL's SJB or if you don't grab it you can buy one of these and try not breaking your neck trying to read your code. But the SEL's SJB is your best option.[the SEL's or Sable's SJB isn't needed but if says "DRL High" & you want DRL grab it]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
You'll also need the handle from a late build 2003 or a 2004 for it to match. I can't recall when Ford killed off Spruce Green (may have been '05)
You can get a handle from any color 1996 model year to 2007.
* Pre 2001 uses 6 +2 (light) wires for keypad
* 2001 and up uses diodes to eliminate 2 wires. 4 + 2(light)

You can make an intermediate harness that contains the diodes to make a pre 2001 compatible. I did. And it still works.

You can use a mid 2003 handle or earlier if you don't mind the slightly different appearance.

You can also spray paint an off colored handle to match your Spruce Green metallic clearcoat.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkautoguidefree.activity

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
If he wants it to match the other three, he needs a late build '03+ handle. Design changed then.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
If he wants it to match the other three, he needs a late build '03+ handle. Design changed then.
Very true. I was lucky and Brian found me a gen 3/4.0 style handle in the right color.
There is also the very laborious option of replacing all the handles to match what he finds.

Or painting a gen 4.5 to match Spruce Green metallic clearcoat.

I know in the Syracuse yards. A Gen 4.5 is a rare as a 2013 in that yard. You are lucky it's there. Let alone still have the parts you require.

OP: I wish you lots of luck in this endeavor. Don't over look all the options you have.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
If you do end up painting the handle, it's Ford paint code FS.

https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/place_order2.cgi

These guys are pretty reliable, IIRC. In theory, that cart is ready for the paint you might need. Probably will have to restart the search should you have to order.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
So the SJB and a lot of sweat and swearing got it
Sorry, I busted out laughing about the "swearing & sweat part". Without the "elbow bendable extention" ratchet bit its a pain to get out.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Sorry, I busted out laughing about the "swearing & sweat part". Without the "elbow bendable extention" ratchet bit its a pain to get out.
Oh doing this on my 2001 was quite the experience :p I think I called the SJB on both the donor car and my car a lot of choice names but I finally got it done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts