Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one option I wish my car had. Trying to do some general research as to if I can add it. Obviously I know I need the steering wheel, but is the wiring for the heated element present in the column? COuld I plug a new heated wheel into the existing wiring and have it work? I realize there's also a heated wheel module located somewhere in the car that I'd have to add. But same question applies. Is the wiring existing and it's a matter of adding the module and wheel?

I also realize I lack the button on the MFT display, but that seems like the easier problem to solve using forscan

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok. So did some digging.

The HSWM (heated steering wheel module) is part number BU5T-14B561-AE and is located somewhere in the steering column area. I managed to score a module for $30 and now need to figure out where it should be mounted to see if the wiring is present.

I've enabled the soft-touch button for the heated wheel via Forscan, so my thinking is if I can plug in the module and press the button, and get a response from the module (it may click when it goes on like the climate seats module clicks) then I can proceed investigating how to get a heated steering wheel on the car (in addition to simply locating one without paying $800 for the SHO alcantara wheel (which is a damn nice wheel anyway)

One other thing to note is you need to change the remote start settings in the IPC with forscan to account for the heated wheel in startup. It will give an option for the steering wheel. I'll hold off on this for now and only enable if I actually pull it off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So, to make things interesting...

I realized I had a steering wheel from an MKS sitting around. I bought it a year ago because I wanted the black plastic surround to replace the grey one on the Taurus. I got it for $40...and it's heated. As a bonus, it's got the paddle shifters.

So, I break it down, and discover ford did change the wheel slightly. The airbag contour is different between the two, and the way the plastic trim mates against the two spokes on the side is slightly different. I stripped the wheel down to the bare frame and thought I could build my Taurus wheel around the heated wheel part. For a second there, I thought I was going to get away with doing this whole swap for $70 (and creating a run on MKS wheels on ebay ) but I don't think it's going to work.

So I hop on ebay, and find a 2014 Taurus SHO steering wheel for sale for $60! Paddle shifter and I can clearly see the heated wheel element wiring (you can see it missing on lower trim wheels)

So, $30 for the module, $60 for a wheel. Now I just need to see if the wiring is existing. I sure as hell hope so.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, after browsing the Taurus FSM that another member here provided me, it seems the HSWM is located under the RH dash finisher. Basically you pop it off, and there it is.

So, lets go see if the wiring is present.

I think to install the module, I may need to program it. The FSM does give some steps on how to do this, and I hope I can use Forscan. I'll have to try it when I get my module.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And bad news.

No wiring present. Popped the panel off to see if the hswm wiring was present and it wasn't. Pulled the glovebox down, searched for a bit...but NAda.

Strange considering it was an option for my year Limited.

Now I regret buying the module and wheel first! :) I was so confident this could work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
During your search, did you happen to notice if there was any wiring to hook up the paddle shifters? Your posts got me into thinking about doing a SHO wheel swap for that purpose, assuming there would need to be some FORScan tweaking as well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
During your search, did you happen to notice if there was any wiring to hook up the paddle shifters? Your posts got me into thinking about doing a SHO wheel swap for that purpose, assuming there would need to be some FORScan tweaking as well.

This thought did cross my mind as well.

The heater element has it's own plug, but the paddle shifters and wheel switches all operate through one main plug. I'll take a closer look at the MKS wheel I have (and the SHO wheel when I get it) but I think the paddles share common wiring so it might be possible to enable that without any special wiring changes.

Would need to look at it in detail though. I'll take a look at my wheel and see if the paddle shifters share common pins or have their own unique pin. It might be possible the body harness has two dedicated wires for it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Honestly even if it is possible, it wouldn't be worth the cost to swap just to have paddle shifters. I have them on my limited and they are useless! There is a rev limiter that forces you to shift early, if you get above like 3500 rpms the car immediately dies down until you shift up. Unless of course you have a manual trans and the paddle shifters are different for the manual?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Honestly even if it is possible, it wouldn't be worth the cost to swap just to have paddle shifters. I have them on my limited and they are useless! There is a rev limiter that forces you to shift early, if you get above like 3500 rpms the car immediately dies down until you shift up. Unless of course you have a manual trans and the paddle shifters are different for the manual?
That doesn't seem to happen to me. I have the base model 2013 SE. If I put the shifter into 'S' mode below drive and then hit the +/- shift buttons on the side of the shifter, I can shift at any rpm up till it auto shifts around 6500 RPM from the rev limiter.

I can only use the +/- manual shifter when I'm in the 'S' mode.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

My '14 doesn't behave like that at all. I can up and downshift at any rpm with some obvious safeties in place like not exceeding redline.

It just feels silly to shift my shifter to "S" and then shift up/down using my thumb. Comes in handy in the snow though

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here's some shots of the MKS wheel I have

All of the controls go through a single plug. The wiring for the shifters appears to be on its own single pin. So I would guess you can plug the wheel in fine to your existing harness.

The question then is whether there are wires on the opposite side of that plug that goes somewhere in the car. That will take some research.

Main plug

Upshift paddle wire colors

Downshift paddle

Separate plug at bottom of wheel for heater

I'll check this against the SHO wheel I'll get tomorrow but I assume it's the same. I'll try and see if the FSM has any info tomorrow at work when I can read it on dual 24" monitors vs an iPhone.

I don't think this is a FORScan item requiring enabling. I assume it's purely wiring and perhaps Ford ran the wiring for both in parallel depending on paddle or shifter shift buttons. Has anyone with a '13+ SHO pulled their shifter off and seen the plug for the non-sho selevtshift?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I believe the paddle shift return wires are pin 4 and 12. Green and blue wire

I believe this is connector C218B in the wiring diagrams if anyone has them

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So just some more info on the heated wheel upgrade.

Clocksprings are different. About $150ish or so for a new one

GB5Z-14A664-D w/ heated wheel
GB5Z-14A664-C w/o heated wheel

Without the wiring, it's pointless anyway. But just more info for anyone that may stumble across this thread.

I'm kinda interested in the paddle shifters now. I have the wheel already, so wouldn't hurt to look into it a bit.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My '14 doesn't behave like that at all. I can up and downshift at any rpm with some obvious safeties in place like not exceeding redline.

It just feels silly to shift my shifter to "S" and then shift up/down using my thumb. Comes in handy in the snow though

Maybe the 2010 is a special case then, that's obnoxious

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe the 2010 is a special case then, that's obnoxious

They could have also reprogrammed the shift logic at some point. The '13+ Limiteds don't even come with paddle shifters any more. That's strictly a SHO level item now.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
My 2010 SEL and my 2013 Limited both allowed manual shifts well above 3500rpm. 2010 had paddles, 2013 has the button on the side of the shifter.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So I dissected the SHO and MKS wheel side by side. It's amazing how similar the wheels are, and how different they are. The basic frame of the wheel is mostly the same, but the way the leather is wrapped around it differs.

The paddle shifters and steering wheel buttons are ever so slightly different. Even the wiring harness has different routing and lengths and wouldn't directly interchange.

The MKS wheel is much nicer than the sho wheel side by side.

So...now I have two useless wheels that hang on the wall. At least the seller on eBay has an issue in their end with the heated seat module and refunded my $30. Lucky break there

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
And btw...2016 Ford Flex with appearance package has a nice wheel surround. Need to see if I can track one down and verify if that plastic surround will swap. I HATE the silver trim on my oem wheel

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Too bad ford doesn't sell that plastic trim separately. Need to buy the entire wheel.

Fortunately wheels are cheap. Not a whole lot of market for the 0.1% of people willing to change out the steering wheel on a modern car, so as a result most Taurus/Flex/Explorer/Etc wheels I've seen have been less than $100. Going to keep an eye out for the blacked out Flex wheel.

That was the whole reason I bought the MKS wheel. I wanted the blacked out trim. Since it doesn't work...it hangs on the wall of my garage :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts