Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I submit for peer review a diagram for a mod. I don't own a vehicle to test this on. So please check my work before you perform this modification. My 2003 isn't candidate for this mod, since the wiring is different. Perhaps 2003 - 2000 could work by dissecting the switches and exchanging the illumination rollers.

Has anyone ever wanted a simple way to turn off or [defeat] the dome light and courtesy lights?

Has anyone ever noticed how the 2005 - 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer/aviator switch looks exactly like a gen 4 HL switch?

I think that an 05 - 06 Explorer platform switch would work in a gen 4.5 (2004 - 2007). Additionally gaining the factory dome defeat.

It also seems so very simple to mod the dome feed to work with it.

Modded diagram

Diagram collection.

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/thesavo/library/Taurus_G4-diagrams/2004-dome_defeat

Sent from AutoGuide.com Premium App

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,400 Posts
I could test this for you. I could put my mom's explorer light switch in my Sable and test it.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be cool. I haven't tested my self. Look at the diagrams in my photo bucket. I think it's identical. I hope I'm not wrong. Also 2003 and prior are exempt from this. The setup is way different.

If your Sable and Explorer both have fogs, test that they work. The Explorer fogs work only in HL/PK on because the fog power feed has tapped the hot out from HL on. D186 (Taurus/Sable) uses a discrete power sources and is limited to use with HL On due to mechanics in the throws of the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150144
Nerd alert. contains terms and brand names that could cause your brain to hurt.

Update. I need to change the diagram. Instead of cutting the dome wire (LB/BK) you could remove the pin from the SJB connector. I have more research to do. If these ~72 pin connectors are the same as a gen 4.0 then they are SAI (self-aligning interconnects). From TE CONNECTIVITY /AMP. some of the pins are compatible with amp multilock 040II Terminals

It would be possible build a cut-splice with out actually cutting. Thereby being completely removable.

Much factory.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,400 Posts
I just tested the Explorer light switch in the Sable, the dome defeat doesn't work. However the all lights and fog lights came on as they would normally. Could someone be able to use an Explorer knob in their bull (input plugs are the same)? Also did the Explorer come with the autolamps option?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I added a relay to the diagram. I wonder if that might be needed.
Cut the wire to dome. Connect one end to 87 a and one to 30. The relay at rest passes. When energized by switch it won't.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I grabbed some Explorer hl switches from a 2002 and a 2004. The diagrams look like a gen 4.0 Taurus, except that it switches hot for headlamps not ground. I have two more theories. 1. Remove the roller dialer and transplant to Taurus switch. 2. The function of the switches may be identical. Except that it switches ground for Taurus And hot for Explorer. Maybe it will plug right in and just work for gen 4.0

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,400 Posts
An 05 explorer switch works in an 02 bull.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So It would appear to operate they same, switching the appropriate contents correctly.
Now we just need the 040 TE-connectivity contacts, a 2 pole 040 connector, and a relay to build a tap. Plug And play mod.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it does. Before moving it to a new location, I tried the Explorer switch. This mod should work for all gen 4's . 2000 - 2007. I need to examine pinouts for the far end years.

I also think that you could swap just the roller mechanism and not need an entire new switch. This makes sables with fogs a good candidate. You wouldn't have to source an Explorer switch that also had fogs.

Potential bill of materials.
Explore switch assembly
Standard 5 pole relay.
Matching hl switch terminal
Matcging SJB/CJB terminals.
Mating SJB/CJB Connector housing
Loose wire

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coming soon. Mod a Taurus HL switch to have dome defeat, using. Requires 1 functioning GEN 4 Taurus HL switch and 1 parts switch to catabolize.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never got around to this b/c my Taurus Died in 2014

1 - 12 of 12 Posts