Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

So, as some of you might remember, I'm one who is looking for cheap ways to get horsepower. Well, I was just wondering...what kind of benefits would I get from adding another muffler system and whatnot to my Taurus? (The thing came with everything except for dual exhaust...)

Short question even shorter: what would all the benefits be of adding another exhaust/muffler system? <---(I'm not sure what to call it).

*I've heard that the non-dual exhausts lost about twenty horsepower from what the dual exhausts had, so I was curious as to whether adding my own second exhaust would make up for that loss*.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I am not sure on what you are exactly asking for here.

If you are asking for true duals which is 1 exhaust pipe running from each manifold it might help a little but it needs to be properly sized and if you have smog checks then you probably wont pass visual. Also it wont be cheap.

If you just want to split the exhaust pipe at the end the benefits will be minimal and more for looks.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Even a true dual system, which would be big $$ to have made, might net you 2 more HP. Dont believe all the hype that "using muffler brand/type X will give your car 20 more HP". That might be true on a 600 HP BBC that originally had restrictive mufflers and a 2" single exhaust, but isnt remotely true for 99.999% of real world cases.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You'll add sound, which is equivalent to horsepower on ricer terms.

If you split your exhaust you really won't see a difference since its still constricted at the header. In a turbo'ed car it may work though.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
You'll add sound, which is equivalent to horsepower on ricer terms.

If you split your exhaust you really won't see a difference since its still constricted at the header. In a turbo'ed car it may work though.
:rofl:

even if you did gain any hp/tq numbers they would be squashed by the additional weight of a dual exhaust to the car. Not worth it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh ok, thanks everyone. I guess the things that I've heard on this site a couple times about the true dual exhaust were wrong =X. Personally, I really like the looks of the single-exhaust on the left side of the car anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
now thats not exactly true, its totally possible to gain upwards of 15 hp with a properly constructed tru dual setup, problem is theres just no room for it, maybe you could run two tiny pipes next to each other in the exhaust channel but it would be tight and expensive. i almost want to try it because my car is lifted a bit and on 20"s i might be able to fit the pipes without the risk of crushing them bottoming out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts