Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks,

So as to not beat a dead horse, if i cut the wire at the MFS as described above, do I still maintain the running lights in the combo, just lose the brake lights. I am adding a spoiler as well so I need to tap into the CHMSL anyway!?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 31 2009, 06:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743288
QUOTE (94clit @ Jul 31 2009, 01:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743249
This mod cost me under $10 to do. 2 junkyard lamp sockets from a 97 taurus(thats what I used) some wire, and connectors. Traced the socket pattern onto the 06 tail lite, and dremel'd it out and wired it up.[/b]
Your '02 already had isolated Turn and Brake light signals?
[/b][/quote]

The '02 doesn't have separate signals. I'm pretty sure he did modified the wiring as described in this thread.

QUOTE (Bzimbug @ Jul 31 2009, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743328
Thanks,

So as to not beat a dead horse, if i cut the wire at the MFS as described above, do I still maintain the running lights in the combo, just lose the brake lights. I am adding a spoiler as well so I need to tap into the CHMSL anyway!?

Thanks[/b]
The parking lights are on a different circuit and doesn't run through the MFS. If you are adding a spoiler, then yes you'd need to tap into the CHMSL wiring. The CHMSL doesn't run through the MFS either.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Bzimbug @ Jul 31 2009, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743374
Thanks

So if I cut the wire at the MFS, will I still have the running lights? Just want to make sure....

Brian[/b]
Yes. aslong as you cut it on it;s way to the MFS, beneath the column. and not from the Brake On Off (BOO) Switch

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 31 2009, 03:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743344
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 31 2009, 06:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743288
QUOTE (94clit @ Jul 31 2009, 01:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743249
This mod cost me under $10 to do. 2 junkyard lamp sockets from a 97 taurus(thats what I used) some wire, and connectors. Traced the socket pattern onto the 06 tail lite, and dremel'd it out and wired it up.[/b]
Your '02 already had isolated Turn and Brake light signals?
[/b][/quote]

The '02 doesn't have separate signals. I'm pretty sure he did modified the wiring as described in this thread.

QUOTE (Bzimbug @ Jul 31 2009, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743328
Thanks,

Thanks[/b]
The parking lights are on a different circuit and doesn't run through the MFS. If you are adding a spoiler, then yes you'd need to tap into the CHMSL wiring. The CHMSL doesn't run through the MFS either.
[/b][/quote]
If he is doing both mods. Cut the wire @ the column for the Brake switch going to the MFS. Then extend the wire from the Parcel shelf to the trunk for the tails and the spoiler.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks very much everybody for your input,

I'll try this out in the next couple of evenings and let you know how it goes! :clap:

Just do not want to screw up my baby ya know....

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
:werd:

I'd like to know that too.
It would seem easier to wire it from the rear 3rd brake light. :dunno:

·
Registered
97 Posts
No additional wiring except from the third brake light to the rear. I will double check the exact wiring hookups tonight if its not raining tonight. Right now it's pouring cats and dogs here at DIA!

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Looking foward to more info!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
PM sent for possible updates.
Hitting the jy tomorrow..... :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry guys for the delay. Out buying a new 2010 Bull. JK, only in my dreams!!!

I have been trying to post this for days, but every time I try to do it, something happens to interrupt me. I will write this up in a MS Word doc and try to copy and paste it. If that doesn't work, please PM me with your address and I'l drop a copy in the mail for you.

Brian, your humble servant... :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Email it to me, and we'll Wiki'fy it. :) My email is in my profile.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Bull Geek; :clap:

Sorry for the slow replies, but I only get high speed internet on my laptop at work, and then only during my two hours for lunch. At home, i only have dial-up that a snail would put to shame!! :oops:

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nothing like resurrecting a thread that's been asleep for over a year. I finally got around to doing this on my '02. It probably cost me $60 all told. I went down to my local junk yard and got two sockets from a 2000. They didn't have any 04-07 tail lights so I wound up ordering those from Rock Auto for $27 each or so. There were just three little "gotchas" :

1. It seems that the back-up light in the 04-07 uses a slightly different socket than the previous years. In my 02 tail lights the hole was essentially a fat cross. In the 04 lights I ordered it the vertical "bar" was rounded at either end. I wound up having to square off the holes slightly in order to get the bulbs back in. No big deal. Thankfully I had the sockets from the wreck down at my workshop so I didn't have to keep running up to check the fit.

2. I opted to run a wire from the CHMSL as opposed to using the line into the MFS. Reason being when I popped the dash panel and isolated the wire going into the MFS I realized that it was extremely thin (possibly 24 gauge). That tells me it's just a signal wire and the MFS more or less uses it to power a relay. Even using 16 gauge wire to the rear I was concerned about the ability of that wire to be able to supply 4.5 amps continuously.

3. I practiced doing the cut on my old '02 lens first. I found it much easier to use a 1" hole saw to cut the initial hole and then add the tabs to that as opposed to trying to freehand the whole cutout. Without the tabs the socket fits tightly in a 1" hole. If you use a 1 1/8" the holes will be too big. :angry:

As an aside by switching the main brake lights to feed from the same wire as the CHMSL I've eliminated the annoying little lag that used to exist when stepping on the brakes. If you've ever looked closely you've probably noticed that the CHMSL comes on a fraction of a second before the main brake lights because the MFS has to switch them on. Now all three lights are lit simultaneously.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nothing like resurrecting a thread that's been asleep for over a year. I finally got around to doing this on my '02. It probably cost me $60 all told. I went down to my local junk yard and got two sockets from a 2000. They didn't have any 04-07 tail lights so I wound up ordering those from Rock Auto for $27 each or so. There were just three little "gotchas" :

1. It seems that the back-up light in the 04-07 uses a slightly different socket than the previous years. In my 02 tail lights the hole was essentially a fat cross. In the 04 lights I ordered it the vertical "bar" was rounded at either end. I wound up having to square off the holes slightly in order to get the bulbs back in. No big deal. Thankfully I had the sockets from the wreck down at my workshop so I didn't have to keep running up to check the fit.

2. I opted to run a wire from the CHMSL as opposed to using the line into the MFS. Reason being when I popped the dash panel and isolated the wire going into the MFS I realized that it was extremely thin (possibly 24 gauge). That tells me it's just a signal wire and the MFS more or less uses it to power a relay. Even using 16 gauge wire to the rear I was concerned about the ability of that wire to be able to supply 4.5 amps continuously.

3. I practiced doing the cut on my old '02 lens first. I found it much easier to use a 1" hole saw to cut the initial hole and then add the tabs to that as opposed to trying to freehand the whole cutout. Without the tabs the socket fits tightly in a 1" hole. If you use a 1 1/8" the holes will be too big. :angry:

As an aside by switching the main brake lights to feed from the same wire as the CHMSL I've eliminated the annoying little lag that used to exist when stepping on the brakes. If you've ever looked closely you've probably noticed that the CHMSL comes on a fraction of a second before the main brake lights because the MFS has to switch them on. Now all three lights are lit simultaneously.
Wait I have been interested in doing this as well, it will now become a project real soon. Here are my questions on what you did, I like the idea of running new wire back, where did you run the wire from?
How do I get it from the CHMSL? I believe after reading about this I have to bypass the MSL so then I get two separate signals? But then with the brake light, did you get that from the top brake light or?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wait I have been interested in doing this as well, it will now become a project real soon. Here are my questions on what you did, I like the idea of running new wire back, where did you run the wire from?
How do I get it from the CHMSL? I believe after reading about this I have to bypass the MSL so then I get two separate signals? But then with the brake light, did you get that from the top brake light or?
Like I said, I ran the wire back from the CHMSL which is the top brake light. I didn't feel like removing all the trim in the trunk to find the harness which goes to the rear lights and find the split for the CMHSL. Instead I popped the back seat out (just the back cushion) and was then able to pull up the package rack. There's a single harness that goes to the CHMSL so I split the positive side (red w/green tracer) there and ran the new wire along the harness into the trunk (passenger side). It was much easier for me to feed a wire through that area than try to accomplish the split there. That wire then ran first to the passenger taillight where it was split to feed the brake light and the rest of the wire continued to the driver's side where terminated at that brake light. OldBlue's write up at the top of this thread is perfect and he has pictures. The only thing I did differently was to run my new brake light wire from the CMHSL as opposed to the MFS input at the base of the the steering column.

The only other wire you have to add then is a ground for your new turn signals. Behind the trunk trim on the driver's side there's an existing ground screw so I ran a wire from there and did the opposite of the new brake wire. The ground wire split at the driver's signal and then terminates at the passenger signal.

As to bypassing the MSL, there is no such animal. You have to bypass the MFS (multi-function switch) which is in the steering column. Bypassing it is as simple as cutting a single wire and capping the lower half which I did by taping the end of it and then re-taping the wire back into the bundle I opened.

The wires are thinner than I expected so when you're buying connectors and/or splices make sure you get the red ones rated for 18-22 gauge wire.

The only other thing I would add is to take your time when cutting the new socket slots. It's much easier to file off a little bit from each tab and keep checking until it works than it is to try to deal with a hole you made too large!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Like I said, I ran the wire back from the CHMSL which is the top brake light. I didn't feel like removing all the trim in the trunk to find the harness which goes to the rear lights and find the split for the CMHSL. Instead I popped the back seat out (just the back cushion) and was then able to pull up the package rack. There's a single harness that goes to the CHMSL so I split the positive side (red w/green tracer) there and ran the new wire along the harness into the trunk (passenger side). It was much easier for me to feed a wire through that area than try to accomplish the split there. That wire then ran first to the passenger taillight where it was split to feed the brake light and the rest of the wire continued to the driver's side where terminated at that brake light. OldBlue's write up at the top of this thread is perfect and he has pictures. The only thing I did differently was to run my new brake light wire from the CMHSL as opposed to the MFS input at the base of the the steering column.

The only other wire you have to add then is a ground for your new turn signals. Behind the trunk trim on the driver's side there's an existing ground screw so I ran a wire from there and did the opposite of the new brake wire. The ground wire split at the driver's signal and then terminates at the passenger signal.

As to bypassing the MSL, there is no such animal. You have to bypass the MFS (multi-function switch) which is in the steering column. Bypassing it is as simple as cutting a single wire and capping the lower half which I did by taping the end of it and then re-taping the wire back into the bundle I opened.

The wires are thinner than I expected so when you're buying connectors and/or splices make sure you get the red ones rated for 18-22 gauge wire.

The only other thing I would add is to take your time when cutting the new socket slots. It's much easier to file off a little bit from each tab and keep checking until it works than it is to try to deal with a hole you made too large!
I bought the single filament sockets...thinking I would use those for the turns; I would like to run the brakes from the 3rd brake light too - how do I make this happen and still keep my running lights with the dual filament brakes socket?

121 - 140 of 149 Posts