Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 2004 version is correct but the 2002 has the error.[/b]
Yes our DVD is 2004 version but unfortunately our PC is acting up so I can't check the diagram. Tonight I did decide however that I'm going to take this one step further and make the turn signals 3-part sequential :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I need to read over this topic and the the other topic before attempting it. I bought a set of Gen4.0 tail lights to try this with, the first gen4 tail lights have the third area in them.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I ended up paying $19.99 a piece.

If this project goes well I'm going to try some nightshading :ph34r:

And then if I have a good set left, I'm going to get rid of the extras.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
On the G4s with the original style tail lamp is there a reflector over where this mod is or is it just red plastic? Because if it was, you could do the same thing but make it a red turn signal...

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yup, it would still work...I'm thinking about using those spaces and stealing Mark's rear fog idea if I get bored this summer :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, new to the TCCA, just bought an 01 SE and have already ordered 04-06 taillights to make this conversion. I'm wondering whether the amber turn signal conversion is something the dealer would do for a decent price...

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Hey guys, new to the TCCA, just bought an 01 SE and have already ordered 04-06 taillights to make this conversion. I'm wondering whether the amber turn signal conversion is something the dealer would do for a decent price...
[/b]
:welcome: to the club! Somehow, I don't think a dealership would be helpful in making non-factory modifications to your car. This might be something to take to a local shop, DIY, or a dealership under the counter if you know a person there really well.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
[/b]
I doubt it. It's more of a do-it-yourself kind of thing as no mechanic wants to risk "hacking up" the electrical system since they already hate the electronics in cars already.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
just did this today.. looks soooo much better now. should have been factory like this.. cost me $0 in parts.. had a ton of wiring and light bulbs sockets at work(body shop). took me 2 hours start to finish.. taking my good old time too..

quick vid of it once i got home

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=52609457

Ryan

·
Registered
97 Posts
BUMP

OK guys, I got my amber turns installed, but now I need your help to isolate the amber lights from the reds.

Right now, BOTH the "old" red lights and the "new" amber lights flash when i hit the signals. I wanted to confirm what wire and where I cut, and so on before I cut ramdom wires and F#%$ everything up!!!

Thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
I know that this topic is old. But I wanted to add something that has to be stressed for new comers.

This is RE: modifying the wiring to get this mod to work.

I have read through this a few times and did not catch the jist until I had my 2003 wiring manual in front of me.

Our Taurii have what is called a combo light. It combines the Turn/Stop/Parking lights into 1 bulb. This one bulb has 2 independent filaments.

Filament 1 for the Parking lights. Low wattage
Filament 2 is for the Turn AND the Brake Lights. high wattage.

Now you could conceivably remove the filament connection to the bulb sock and use it in your new amber socket. This is great and all. but it will turn on your "ambers" when Brake too. You don't (perhaps you do) want that. You want the factory bulbs to turn on with your parking lights. Low setting. You those same bulbs to glow BRIGHTER when you smash the Brake peddle. But the factory wiring has the Brake and Turns using the same signal wire from the steering column.

How?

What happens when you step on the Brake in a Gen 4 Taurus is it sends 12 volts to to the Multi-Function switch, which passes that current down a "light green/orange" wire and a "Orange/Light blue" wire. This lights up the High side of the bulb. Left and right side respectively.

Same with the Hazards. When you turn left you engage the Multi Function Switch sending only 12V down the LG/O wire. This lights up the high side of the Left Combo Bulb.
Same goes with the Right turn and O/LB wire.

What to do. What Old-Blue did was Cut the "Red/Light Green" Before it reaches the MFS. But after the parking Brake interlock and other safety stuff. This will keep the safety interlock, CHMSL, ABS blah blah blah. But the LG/O & O/LB do NOT send power when Braking.

Now you can do one of 2 thing.
A. Take the signal from the Center High Mount Stop Light (CHMSL). For some people that may be difficult. IT is a Red/LG wire still in the parcel shelf (back deck). IF you have spoiler, this is a no-brainer. That wire is already in the trunk. :-0 Other choose to run a new wire all the way from the MFS because of personal preference. anyway this new wire will then need to connect to the factory Combo lights.

And from here you should be done. I can't wait to have money again and perform this mod.
My G/f and I both agree that people ignore combo turns. It looks too much like a broken stop light on the other side.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
This mod cost me under $10 to do. 2 junkyard lamp sockets from a 97 taurus(thats what I used) some wire, and connectors. Traced the socket pattern onto the 06 tail lite, and dremel'd it out and wired it up.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
QUOTE (94clit @ Jul 31 2009, 01:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743249
This mod cost me under $10 to do. 2 junkyard lamp sockets from a 97 taurus(thats what I used) some wire, and connectors. Traced the socket pattern onto the 06 tail lite, and dremel'd it out and wired it up.[/b]
Your '02 already had isolated Turn and Brake light signals?

101 - 120 of 149 Posts