Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
You can use the GM 3157 socket found at auto parts stores. I used them for my rear foglights. The good part about them is, they have wires coming out of the socket, and not just a plug.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
You can use the GM 3157 socket found at auto parts stores. I used them for my rear foglights. The good part about them is, they have wires coming out of the socket, and not just a plug.
[/b]
You have rear fog lights? Hmm... not a bad idea I guess for seeing when you back up.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
You have rear fog lights? Hmm... not a bad idea I guess for seeing when you back up.
[/b]
Oh they don't help me to see anything behind my car. I installed them so that the rear of my car will be more visible in inclement weather, or other low-visibility conditions, to the drivers behind me.

They are red, like the brake lights, and wired to run on high-intensity (major circuit), and installed in the "blank" spot on my tail lights (where you 04+ guys are doing the turn signals). My friends who have driven behind me say it makes a nice difference in a texas-sized downpour when it comes to seeing the rear of my car. B)

[/hijack] :unsure:

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
You can use the GM 3157 socket found at auto parts stores. [/b]
OK great! Thanks for the tip :D
[/b][/quote]

In fact I just got our car done this weekend. I did it just like the OP had done except that our car had the Sable body wiring and I did not have to add any wires, just cut the brake light wire going to the MF Switch and swap a couple of wires in the rear light connectors (the brake-only wires were working already).

I had to order the complete rear light wiring that consists of the reversing lamp socket, tail lamp socket, wiring and body connector. I got them from GenuineFordParts.com:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=2

They are about $17 for one side and I think it was not too bad since the socket is much better quality than the GM part that auto part stores are selling. I could also use the internal parts from the body wiring connector and did not have to splice or solder any wires so I think it was a good deal. It is actually very hard to notice that the turn signals were not there from the factory, even if you take a closer look. :D

Now I still have to add the rear fog light since that is required in Europe where we are moving in 2008. Only one is required for the driver's side. I guess the first step would be to check which wires are already there behind the light switch. I'm trying to figure out if I can use the Sable light switch with fog option to make a clean install.

Then there's two options: I could try to convert the left side reversing light to a fog light using red LED lamp or I could just add a separate fog light to the bumper. I'm just afraid that a round red lamp would look like a huge pimple on the white car. The first option is a bit risky since I'm not sure if it would pass the registration inspection (depends on if they can figure out that it was not a factory option). The latter would pass for sure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I had to order the complete rear light wiring[/b]
Do you have the Ford part number for this? :huh:
[/b][/quote]

Hmm, I thought the web site would show it but apparently not. However, I do have the original Ford box where the wiring harness was packed. The box has the number and I can get it when I get home tonight. The schematic diagram shows 13407 but I'm not sure if it is the complete code.

The number can also be found from a blue sticker attached to the wire. So you can check yourself if the sticker is still there in your car. It should be inside the trunk, a couple of inches from the connector, behind the trunk liner.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The schematic diagram shows 13407 but I'm not sure if it is the complete code.[/b]
That is the wiring block code, used when viewing a Ford schematic. You can enter that number on their software and it will take you directly to that wiring diagram :)

Thanks for checking the number that's on the box. Appreciate it :thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
FinnSpeed, have you thought about purchasing the OEM rear fog lamp that was installed on European Tauruses?

·
Registered
205 Posts
FinnSpeed, have you thought about purchasing the OEM rear fog lamp that was installed on European Tauruses?
[/b]
OEM rear fog lamp? Does that really exist, I mean I did not know that Taurus was ever exported to Europe? Not to Finland at least and definitely not G4. But, if you can give me any pointers where to find one I would definitely check it out.

I have seen a few of them in Finland too but they all were either imported by individuals moving from the States or the US Embassy (saw a couple of early G4's parked at the Embassy). All of those had aftermarket rear fogs attached under the bumper. That is a working solution but I think the lamp would be a bit vulnerable there and looks funny.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
OEM rear fog lamp? Does that really exist, I mean I did not know that Taurus was ever exported to Europe? Not to Finland at least and definitely not G4. But, if you can give me any pointers where to find one I would definitely check it out.

I have seen a few of them in Finland too but they all were either imported by individuals moving from the States or the US Embassy (saw a couple of early G4's parked at the Embassy). All of those had aftermarket rear fogs attached under the bumper. That is a working solution but I think the lamp would be a bit vulnerable there and looks funny.
[/b][/quote]
I posted some pics of some 3's and 4's with them awhile back. Wish I had more info on them, but I wouldn't know what to tell you expect to maybe get in contact with American auto resellers across the pond, or maybe Ford of Europe or something :dunno:

Kal, the rear fog requirement wasn't limited to just NL, most western european countries required them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
While I was researching which sockets are best to use for this mod I found some awesome bulbs that I plan on using for my modification. When they are off they do not appear to be yellow, they are an irridescent silver/blueish color (see screenshot below). Only when you use them do they appear yellow, and then they are a brighter yellow (street legal too). They are made by SilverStar and are also rated to last longer. Can't wait to get them :lol2:

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
'04 SEL, the Ford part # for the rear light wiring harness is:
4F1Z-13410-AA
Funny that the middle part is 13410 and not 13407.

Bull Geek, I will try to search for the images you posted, thanks for the tip.

Netherlands, no wonder I have not seen them... Anyways, the light regulations for cars have been quite well (not 100% but almost) harmonized across the Europe so the rear fog light requirement applies to almost every country there.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
For some reason the green/white wire does not do anything, like it was left open from the other end [/b]
Do you mean LIGHT grn and white stripe? :huh: If so then it goes to the FRONT (left) side of the car (both Taurus and Sable). Also from what I'm reading some people are cutting wires under the dash of the car. This is not wise, as those same wires control many other parts of the cars functions. The wires coming from the MFS are not just for the lights...

4F1Z-13410-AA[/b]
Thank you sir :thumb:

:ford:

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
For some reason the green/white wire does not do anything, like it was left open from the other end [/b]
Do you mean LIGHT grn and white stripe? :huh: If so then it goes to the FRONT (left) side of the car (both Taurus and Sable). Also from what I'm reading some people are cutting wires under the dash of the car. This is not wise, as those same wires control many other parts of the cars functions. The wires coming from the MFS are not just for the lights...

4F1Z-13410-AA[/b]
Thank you sir :thumb:

:ford:
[/b][/quote]
Thanks Bull Geek (for the link - I don't know how I missed that) and '04 SEL! :)

I have the complete '04 schematics and yes, I meant light green with white stripe. When I posted that first message, I did not have the schematics and was guessing quite a lot (color codes among others).

And yes, if your car is a '04- Sable or a Taurus with Sable wiring harness, there are the same color wires going to both front and rear direction lights (left and right have different colors). That is the case with our car. Following the schematics I found out the reason why the rear blinker wires won't work:

Based on which color wires can be found in the harnesses, our car has the body harness (14A005) that goes from under the dash up to the rear lights and the main harness (14401) that goes inside dash left to right identical to the Sable. However, Ford had already swapped the Dash to headlight harness (14290) to a dedicated Taurus one. The blinker wires do a little round from the main harness to the headlight harness and only after that to the body harness. In the Sable wiring there should be a splice in the headlight harness for each rear blinker but those are missing from the Taurus version. That is why the wires were floating in the back, one feet of wire in 14290 was missing!

I did the conversion by moving the yellow rear indicators to the combined brake/blinker wire in the rear light connector and cutting the wire coming from the brake switch to the MF switch under the dash (so they work as blinkers only). The brake light wiring was working so I just connected the red brake light on each side to the previously empty connector positions. The light connector is easy to take apart, you just need a small flat head screw driver to remove the red plastic locking cap and then a needle or really small screw driver to get the pins out.

You are right when you say you never should blindly cut any wires under the dash, especially wires related to ABS brake system. But in this case the wire I'm referring to is the one that powers the combined red blinker/brake lights through the MF switch. I checked carefully and there are no splices to any other systems after that point, the wire goes straight to the switch and serves only to illuminate the major filament when brake pedal is pressed. The crucial splices (to ABS control module, Brake shift interlock, Powertrain control module and Speed control servo) and the brake switch are all in the body harness 14A005 and the cutting position was part of main harness 14401. This is exactly what the OP did too and his pictures show the position very well. So this mod is perfectly safe when done as described.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the wire I'm referring to is the one that powers the combined red blinker/brake lights through the MF switch.
[/b]
You might want to double check that again. On a gen 4 Taurus the brake light wire comes only from the BOO switch (fuse 28, 15a) and not the MFS. This is why cutting the brake light wire under the dash has no effect on the turn signals. Those wires come only from the MFS (they are also tapped into the instrument cluster) and are Lt. Grn/Org and Org/Lt. Blue :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
the wire I'm referring to is the one that powers the combined red blinker/brake lights through the MF switch.
[/b]
You might want to double check that again. On a gen 4 Taurus the brake light wire comes only from the BOO switch (fuse 28, 15a) and not the MFS. This is why cutting the brake light wire under the dash has no effect on the turn signals. Those wires come only from the MFS (they are also tapped into the instrument cluster) and are Lt. Grn/Org and Org/Lt. Blue :)
[/b][/quote]

The LG/OG and OG/LB wires are indeed the ones that I'm now using as turn signals only. I did not cut them, just moved them (in the rear light connectors) to illuminate the new amber turn signals.

The one I cut is the RD/LG wire that runs from pin 20 of the connector C263 to the pin 4 of connector C202a that attaches right to the MF switch. If you check again, you'll see that this only disables the brake function of the said LG/OG and OG/LB wires so they double the function of the LG/WH and WH/LB wires. No ill effects anywhere. Note that some Ford wiring diagrams have an error inside the MF switch. My 2004 version is correct but the 2002 has the error.

The reason why I did this was that it was much easier than splicing to the LG/WH and WH/LB wires that are the dedicated turn signal wires originally. That could have been done by connecting the body harness wires under the drivers door to the corresponding wires close to the MF switch. I also checked if it was possible to add the missing splices to the head light harness but the connectors on that one were too hard to reach without taking the whole dash apart. :huh:

81 - 100 of 149 Posts
About this Discussion
148 Replies
45 Participants
TaurusDailyDriver
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing