Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
A small addition:

Looking at your pictures I'm not sure if your tail lights have the same wire colors that we have here. Chances are that the harness is identical though.

The pre 2004 G4 might have had only 6-pin connector at the tail light but the later model should have 10-pins. I'm not sure about this because what I've seen here, people seem to have been able to switch the G4 new and old style tail lights without issues.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well Finnspeed, I checked, and the '02 Bull that donated it wiring harness for the mod had a 6-pin connector, but only 4 of the pins are actually used. As for my '06, it has the 10 pin connector (like all '04 to '07's should), but only 6 pins are used in it. On my Bull, there are multiple grounds going throught the connector, but there are no other wires like you mentioned above.

That being said, I GOT MY WIRING FINISHED!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: I'll post some pics of how I did the wiring under the dash this weekend, but it's done!! :woot: :woot:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I checked the wiring. Turns out I was only partly right.

* The brake light connection works just like I had guessed - the red/green wire (pin# 4) is the correct one
* For some reason the green/white wire does not do anything, like it was left open from the other end

Another thing: I had the connector sort of mirrored (I looked to the direction of the tail light when I wrote the pinout down). I took a closer look and found numbers that went as follows:

5 4 3 2 1
[ black ][red/green][ grey* ][black/pink*][ black* ]

[ black* ][ grey ][green/white][green/orange*][ black ]
10 9 8 7 6

Third thing: It could be that the wires I listed as grey are actually brown (or meant to be brown). In our car the color looks a lot like dark grey though.

I have to investigate a bit why the green/white wire does not work. If it is just not connected to anything, it can be connected straight to the wire that is going to the left front direction lamp (somewhere close to the multifunction switch). I'm also curious about the two grey or brown wires, if the other one is connected or not. If not, I have a use for it.

I do also have the 2004 Ford DVD (new schematics!) but I cannot yet install it because it won't fit to basic single layer DVD. Have to get a double layer drive first...

·
Registered
205 Posts
You were faster than me, OldBlue...

Do you mean that the chassis side of the 10-pin connector does not have these extra wires in your car? This is possible of course if Ford used Sable harness in part of the production and then started using (more cost effective) dedicated harness later. Our car has been built in March, 2004.

So you found a place where to make connections to the wires coming from the multifunction switch?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Wow, that looks totally awesome! Great mod and write-up! Did you add it to the wiki? I'd recommend changing the title to something like "G4 Amber Turn Signal Mod" or something. So, do you have any light bleeding between the compartments?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finn-
The wiring harness coming from my taillights has 5 wires (not 6 like I stated before); 2 of those are grounds. The chassis side also has only 5, but the connector is capable of having 10 pins in it. My Bull is a VERY early '06. And yes, I located the wiring to the MFS, and identified the wire I needed to splice into for the brakes. I took pics, and will post them later (I'm at work now), but for the brake light wiring, I found it to be easier (mainly on my body!) to run a seperate wire from the MFS to the rear of the car.

Qwertz-
Thnaks! I don't know how to add it the the Wiki. Can you help me with that? As far as bleed through, the only place there is any, is a slight bit behind the reflector portion of the lens (kind of like the reflector covers a small portion of the area for the turn signal).

·
Registered
205 Posts
OldBlue,

OK, so at least in some '04 production series there is Sable harness with all 10 wires connected to the 10-pin connector behind the tail lights. Later Ford went and dropped the extra wires.

Looking forward to see your pics! They should be very handy as I have to locate the direction indicator wires too.

BTW, I'm going to add white front parks (found nice E-certified LED lamps) and fender direction lights in front and a rear fog (LED lamp found for this one too) as well. Why? I'm going to import the car to Finland in a year or two and need those changes made to get plates there...

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I'd like to swap out my 2000 MY Bull tailights with 2004 units, but apparently they changed the design slightly after 3-04. The early units have a weatherstrip and the later units don't. Anyone have any idea if one or the other might not fit?

Any tips on changing out the lamps on a G4?

TIA, Carl

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Carl, either one will fit.
Apparently when I got my 04 tails, they were in the middle of the design change without the weatherstrip and I got one side of each design.
Really not noticeable though. :)

I think OldBlue's tails are a great idea!! :banana:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Okay, here’s how I did the wiring. I chose to run a separate wire from the MFS for the brake lights (which is a piece of cake!), simply because for me it was easier than trying to run a wire from the center brake light.

You need to remove the panel under the steering wheel (man, those 2 bolts were tight!). First, a pic, for orientation….

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
To the left of the center of the column, you’ll find a loom that goes to the MFS. The connector in the right side of the picture goes to the ignition switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
All I did from this point is cut the wire, solder it onto the separate wire that I had run to the rear for the brake lights, and then finish the connections in the trunk! By cutting the wire here, the center LED brake light still functions (and from what I saw in the wiring diagram, a component of the ABS system), so you don’t have to worry about running another wire for it. As for the wiring in the trunk, I hooked the new wire I ran to the brake lights, cut and spliced the original brake light wires in the trunk to the new turn signals, and soldered & heat shrank (heat shrunk ?) all of the connections!

This whole mod cost me $20 (I had wire and some other stuff). The wiring was a little more time consuming than I thought, but by no means difficult.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks a lot!

Very good images. This will make my job so much easier now that I know what to expect. B)

A little request for clarification though: I think you had to touch the turn signal wires to make them work as turn signals only and not act as additional brake lights (cut the turn/brake signal wires and solder them to the turn signal wires under the dash)?

Is the blue sleeve that looks like a heat shrink tube part of the turn signal connections?

Again, great job!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
First, the blue sleeve appears to be heat-shrink tubing, but was there from the factory. I did nothing to it.

Second, the whole reason to cut the wire going to the MFS is to isolate the turn signal wiring. I ran a seperate wire from the wire I cut going to the MFS to the rear of the car to power the brake lights. After cuttting the wire at the MFS, the original wiring at the rear of the car for the brake lights now only works for the turn signals. I spliced the wires there for the turn signals.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey - that was a clever trick!

My mindset was stuck to modifying wiring _after_ the MFS and not before. You obviously found just the correct place. This seems to be the best way to do this mod for late G4 cars. :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks! :D

I think this has to be one of the best mods for the later G4 cars, and from what I've read, a necessity for anybody taking their Bulls to Europe!

41 - 60 of 149 Posts