Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I used the existing opening in the housing as a guide, measuring 3 times and cutting once! I didn’t want to have to replace the housing, as the wrecking yard wanted $50 for another! I used my air grinder with a small burr to start the hole, proceeded to the sanding cartridge to center and correctly size (1.060”) the hole, and then back to the burr to cut the notches for the socket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After closely checking for clearance issues between the socket and the body of the car, I decided to orientate the socket notches about 20 degrees from where they were on the existing socket so there would be no interference between the socket and the car body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here’s a shot of the completed wiring re-installed on my Bull. You can tell the turn signal socket is older (it was also exposed to the weather, but was not corroded).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The first light took me about 40 minutes, but the second one only took me maybe 20.

I STILL HAVE TO FINISH THE WIRING. This was the easier part for me, so now I just have to actually change the wiring around for them to work properly. Hopefully I’ll have time by the weekend for that.

Here’s another idea if you’ve got the 2000 to 2004 lights. Why not make the lower bulb your brake light since it’s already red, and use the main light as your turn signal & running light? Give your Bull more of a Euro feel!

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
:banana: :woot: You are my hero.....I love it...I always thought those taillights looked :07: without a amber turnsignal in that clear spot.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Aug 27 2006, 09:57 PM
Multi-funtion switch is the turn signal stick.
Can anyone give me the double-secret location of the MFS on a G4? Possibly a pic of it's location? If I knew exactly where it was, I could have this mod complete in about 30 more minutes! That is, as long as I don't have to become a contortionist trying to move around under the dash (my right rotator cuff won't allow for that)! :lol2:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
yeah man. that looks good. i agree that it just seems a waste to make that part clear, and not put an amber bulb in there. good job. :horns:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
:thumb: Wish I could help you out on the MFS location, but all I know is to download the service DVD from the top of this fourm, turn the pc clock back before the date and use that...but my DVD burner is kaput <_<

Can't wait to see when you hvae it fully working, excellent modification idea.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oldblue,

Great job so far. you are doing exactly the same mod I'm planning to do!

Did you notice that the wiring harness that comes to the small connector close to the lights, already has all the wires you need? Gen 4 Taurus uses the same harness as Sable and at least all the wires that are in the schematic (coming from the multifunction switch) can be found there.

To make the lights work euro style you only need to move some wires to different locations in the square socket (brake lights) and add the wires from direction signals. If you have the other socket from junkyard, you can remove the pins you need from that one. I have not tried this yet but will do some measurements soon to see if I was right. :)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Originally posted by FinnSpeed@Aug 30 2006, 06:09 PM
Did you notice that the wiring harness that comes to the small connector close to the lights, already has all the wires you need? Gen 4 Taurus uses the same harness as Sable and at least all the wires that are in the schematic (coming from the multifunction switch) can be found there.
I had no idea. I'll have to check tonight! Do you have a way to post the schematic?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
That is awesome! I like the '04+ tails a lot more now. Great mod! :woot:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
:werd: that looks sick man!! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did not have time to measure the wires yesterday but I'll try to describe how it should work. I'm guessing a bit here because I did not have 2004 schematics available and some of the wire colors have changed from 2002 (which I have). Regardless, this should be even easier to figure out than looking at Ford schematics:

The description below applies to left side rear lamp

The wiring harness has a 10-pin connector. If you unplug the connector and look at the side that is attached to the inside of the trunk, the top row is as follows, from left to right:

[ black ][red/green][ grey* ][black/pink*][ black* ]

And the bottom (closer to the chassis) row looks like this:

[ black* ][ grey ][green/white][green/orange*][ black ]

Now, as standard the wires marked with * are connected to the tail light. All blacks are GND so you can use any one of the free ones when adding bulbs. The factory connections are as follows:

- black/pink & black = reversing lamp
- green/orange & black = brake/turn lamp
- grey & black (shares the same black with brake) = park lamp

The tail ligh wire colors match the harness wire colors with one exception: green/orange changes to red/blue. Probably on the right side this will match too.

Obviously, you only need to touch the brake/turn lamp wiring to change that to brake only and then add the new turn lamp. It should work this way (here's where I'm guessing the most):

- brake only lamp = black & red/green (the same colors go to the center brake lamp)
- turn signal lamp = black & green/white

So you need to move the brake lamp positive wire (red/blue) to the position where red/green is at the chassis side. And the you need to add wires to one of the blacks and green/white position (turn signal). For this you need to find the tiny connector part that slides inside the plastic housing unless you plan to connect right to the harness (which would make removing the tail light a pain in the a## later).

The right side should be similar with slightly different wire colors. The connector pinout should be identical so you can just repeat what you did on the left.

Just don't shoot me if this did not work. I would check the functionality with a multimeter or a 5W bulb before making the final changes. :x:

21 - 40 of 149 Posts