Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored the other night :lol2: , so I pulled off one of the taillights on my '06. I had remembered reading something in one of the forums about the possibility of these taillights being able to accept a seperate turn signal. Below is the taillight (with the clear lens section next to the reverse light).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cutting the plastic (with a small air grinder) would be a piece of cake, but the only problem is, I don't know how to seperate the turn signal wiring from the brake light wiring to be able to do this. With all the members in the TCCA, is there anyone who knows how to do the wiring end of this? :huh: :unsure: :dunno:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:banana: Thank you, :banana: thank you, :banana: thank you! :chili:

That's exactly what I was looking for! After I get the conversion done, I'll post some pics!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That would be great. One thing I really hate about many newer cars is the lack of a true yellow turn signal on the back. Sure the brake light signal works, but in rush hour traffic, it's nice to see a bright yellow light flashing beside the bright red light.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Blue, sounds like a cool project to me!! :)

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Does anyone know if the earlier style G4 taillight assemblies have the same extra mounting boss?

Thanks! Carl

·
Registered
52 Posts
All of the G4 lights have them... in '04 they added the clear lense over the "unused" housing. I have strobes in mine ('03 w/ the red lense).

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going out tomorrow to find a couple of light sockets, and may stop at the local wrecking yard to find an extra set of lights. If I can get to this in the next couple of days, I'll do a write-up w/ a bunch of pics! :p

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Aug 26 2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=5710&st=0&

Wow, that was a long time ago. I'm so old. Anyways, yeah, it took a while with several different keywords and looking at other posts to find the right link and member. Human search function > forum search function.
I'm going to do the wiring like in this link, but I've got 2 questions:

1. What is the multi-function switch? The headlight switch? The turn signal switch in the wheel? :blink:

2. Does anyone have a pic of the wiring harness for an '06, so I can see the color codes of the wiring? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
No. Ford originally planned to put an amber signal there, but they axed the plan to save money. Funny thing is, the '04 Sable gained the functioning amber turn signal.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
YAHOOO!! I got the bulbs installed into the taillights yesterday! Now, I’ll bet there are probably 50 ways to leave your lov………..ahhh, never mind. Any how, I’m sure there are MANY different ways to do this, so this is how I did it.

My original plan was to use 7440 amber bulbs because they’re smaller, but I couldn’t find any sockets that seemed to clear the body panel behind the taillight, so I decided to go with a socket that had a 90 degree plug, similar to the original sockets.

I had originally gone to AutoZone and bought some replacement sockets and 4157 amber bulbs (the only sockets they had were for a GM), but after getting the sockets home, I decided I didn’t like them. :beat-chevy:

I took a trip to the local wrecking yard, and got the wiring harness sections that go into the taillights for an ’02 Bull. I figured that way, all the parts look correct, as they’re all Ford parts. The way I plan to wire this up is to just use the brighter filament of the dual-filament bulb, so I removed the wiring for the running light portion of the sockets. Total cost for wiring and bulbs, $20.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 149 Posts