Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to add a trans temp gauge and oil pressure gauge to my car for a while, and now I am finally getting around to it.

I think I am going to go with Autometer Sport-comp gauges, but I don't know if I should get full sweep or short sweep gauges, and if I should get a mechanical or electric gauge for the oil pressure.

Does anyone know the normal running temp for the transmission, as well as the oil pressure?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Oil pressure should be 10 lbs per 1000 rpm.

The full sweep will give you better resolution. But may be distracting if you don't like all the movement.

Trans should run under 200F but there is no real NORMAL temperature.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Digital

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Actually if a transmission gets much below 160F it doesn't operate very well. When I had my Taurus it always shifted a little funky when cold but was fine when hot. It was especially bad when it was below freezing outside.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
QUOTE (MrBooMY @ Apr 12 2009, 08:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717261
Actually if a transmission gets much below 160F it doesn't operate very well. When I had my Taurus it always shifted a little funky when cold but was fine when hot. It was especially bad when it was below freezing outside.[/b]

That's true for the G1 and G2, but not from the G3 and up.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would go full sweep, more movement=more chicks!
Anyway, def. go electrical gauges, because mechanical gauges require you to run an actual pressurized fluid feed into your cabin, feed line rupture=mess inside!!!
-bobby

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I used a cyberdyne tranny gauge . It displays in green to match the rest of the GenIV colors

Mike
B)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts