Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking through the forms there is a cut clear way on how to add a sub into a Taurus. What I have read is I can tap into the rear speaker wiring in order to get the sound produced. BUT ford does cut out the bass on a higher level sound.

My first question is, how do I bypass just that and the sub? Do I need another amp just to do that?

Two, I am looking for a smaller sub maybe around an 8 inch.

I found this: Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Electronics
That is a slim sub, but supposedly has some kick to it. Any ideas if this would work nicely?
Or adding this : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinit...1-25-794-566-25-794-2187-0-5&id=1218191356275
but some how putting it into the third speaker hole??

With tapping into the rear speaker wires, what is the best way on going about "tapping" in on them?

Lastly with RCU is better to add a sub to, JBL RCU or the MACH RCU?

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My first mod was a pair of 12" subs, so let me give you the rundown.

If you were planning to use the speakers signal to drive you sub don't bother. There isn't enough power, you will need an amplifier.

First, a wire tap is just fine to get a signal from the rear speakers. though if you wish to go over the top you could use wire nuts. This will give you a signal to go to your LOC (line out converter).

I don't believe without replacing the head unit with an aftermarket radio, there is any cost efficient way of restoring the bass at higher volumes, but I never had a problem with the bass output with a sub. I think choosing an amplifier with a remote bass boost knob would be the best option.

Power wire is easy to run, simply run it through the firewall hole near the driver's side strut tower, under the carpet along the drivers side and into the trunk.

Your amplifier could be grounded anywhere where there's metal, simply sand and drill, be carful if you do drill not to hit anything behind the metal. You could use some of the grounding points I've found, the lower rear seat bracket mounting bolts are a good spot.

An REM (Remote) wire is convienently located on the RCU (rear control unit, the gray amplifier looking thing mounted to the driver's side wheel well in the trunk). It is light green and black.

2002 Radio Wiring Diagram - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

To put an 8" sub in the rear deck will probably take some sheet metal cutting and a whole lot of sound deadening.

All this will work for a gen IV and I believe for a gen III hopefully you drive one of those.

Hope it all helps :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am currently trying to find the correct wires for the rear speakers so I can splice them. But when I look at the wire diagram it apears the central plug of my RCU should contain the speakers but it misses a wire thats on a seperate plug. It's all confusing me and maybe you can tell me if it is the center plug of the RCU that holds the speaker wires.
also I have a 2001 with a mach radio so should be the same thing

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am currently trying to find the correct wires for the rear speakers so I can splice them. But when I look at the wire diagram it apears the central plug of my RCU should contain the speakers but it misses a wire thats on a seperate plug. It's all confusing me and maybe you can tell me if it is the center plug of the RCU that holds the speaker wires.
also I have a 2001 with a mach radio so should be the same thing
its the left plug

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My first mod was a pair of 12" subs, so let me give you the rundown.

If you were planning to use the speakers signal to drive you sub don't bother. There isn't enough power, you will need an amplifier.

First, a wire tap is just fine to get a signal from the rear speakers. though if you wish to go over the top you could use wire nuts. This will give you a signal to go to your LOC (line out converter).

I don't believe without replacing the head unit with an aftermarket radio, there is any cost efficient way of restoring the bass at higher volumes, but I never had a problem with the bass output with a sub. I think choosing an amplifier with a remote bass boost knob would be the best option.

Power wire is easy to run, simply run it through the firewall hole near the driver's side strut tower, under the carpet along the drivers side and into the trunk.

Your amplifier could be grounded anywhere where there's metal, simply sand and drill, be carful if you do drill not to hit anything behind the metal. You could use some of the grounding points I've found, the lower rear seat bracket mounting bolts are a good spot.

An REM (Remote) wire is convienently located on the RCU (rear control unit, the gray amplifier looking thing mounted to the driver's side wheel well in the trunk). It is light green and black.

2002 Radio Wiring Diagram - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

To put an 8" sub in the rear deck will probably take some sheet metal cutting and a whole lot of sound deadening.

All this will work for a gen IV and I believe for a gen III hopefully you drive one of those.

Hope it all helps :)
Ran into my old thread, I have decided to be putting in a 12 inch sub into my car :D. I was thinking though, we should have a tutorial on how to put a sub on a stock car...since all the post I have found all ask the same questions. I might work on it :p

Well 12 inch sub woofer is installed into my car, must say the JBL rcu with the dedicated sub seems to work out the best. Have most of the bass coming from the big 12 inch sub using the source for the little sub. Didn't have to cut into any stock wiring, just used the wire harness I had to install in for the 6.5 inch sub which rules. Just letting others know in case they don't want to cut into the stock wiring harness of their car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts