Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 with 100% factory audio and CD changer. To me, the radio gets plenty loud but the bass just cuts out at high volumes. Can you easily (and would you ever) just wire in an amp for a sub, leaving the rest of the system stock? Or is that crazy?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Something like this should let you set this up, the only major problem is I think you would need to run a separate amp to run all the speakers, but it would allow you to keep a stock stereo and run a sub.
AudioControl LC6i 6-channel line output converter for adding outboard amps to your factory audio system at Crutchfield Signature

I don't know if you could just tap into a pair of the stock speaker wires, so that it splits the signal to both the speakers and this unit, if that is the case, you would only need an amp for the sub. My concern is that if you did that approach alone it could introduce sound distortion or make the speakers you tapped into really quiet. To play it safe, plan on a basic 80 - 100 watt amplifier for the speakers you tap into, and then get an amplified sub.

I don't think its a crazy approach, I like keeping my cars factory looking.

Here is a more upscale model of the above unit, it has a few extra features including a remote and more inputs and an RCA aux input.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC8I/AudioControl-LC8i-Gray.html?o=M&c=3&tp=6870

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Powered sub is pretty much genius. Thanks for that point.

It seems like the rest of this is pretty much as expensive as just getting an inexpensive aftermarket head unit. :( I don't mind adding a head unit from a "keep the car factory" perspective since it's really quick to swap the stock unit back in when I sell the car. I just thought there might be a more inexpensive way to handle it, like some sort of $20 device to splice wires into for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I just used a mono sub amp and a 12" woofer. Tapped into the rear speaker wires for the inputs to the amp. Easy as pie.

But the Ford systems do use loudness logic where the bass is reduced with higher volume levels.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just used a mono sub amp and a 12" woofer. Tapped into the rear speaker wires for the inputs to the amp. Easy as pie.

But the Ford systems do use loudness logic where the bass is reduced with higher volume levels.
Ahh, makes sense. Even so I'd imagine a sub would help quite a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did on my 99 Bull, but without a seperate controls for bass from factory speakers and aftermarket subs, I just got distorted crap. So I took them out.

My opinion, subs alone=:minigunner: :nuclear: and the sound=:noes:

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, some self powered subs have speaker level inputs, so all you need to do is tap into the wires. On a self powered sub, they also have vehicle specific stuff, which is nice for fitment obviously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 05 Taurus and kept my stock HU when i installed my amp and subs. You can just splice the speaker wires to get signal to your amp, but what i did was connect a PAC Audio SNI-50A to the speaker wires in my trunk. this provided me with high power RCA outputs for my amp and only cost me $25 at my local audio store. other thing that you will need when instaling an amp is a remote on wire. i just spliced this into the turn on wire on the HU. it is a black and green wire going into the tuner in the trunk. some amps also have an EBC (External Bass Control) where you can turn the bass up or down from the front seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts