Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was a way you could install the keyless entry keypad that was available as an option onto a G1 Ford Taurus. How hard would it be to do and what kind of work would have to be done? I'm asking in case the 86 LX wagon I'm searching for doesn't have this feature installed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
86 might go back to far but I remember adding a Ford remote keypad to my 2003 F150. It was actually just another wireless transmitter with a keypad. I just programmed it and stuck it to the door with 3M tape.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
86 might go back to far but I remember adding a Ford remote keypad to my 2003 F150. It was actually just another wireless transmitter with a keypad. I just programmed it and stuck it to the door with 3M tape.
Well since I want an 86 Taurus LX I want to add on the original keypad that was available as an option not one from another Ford car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Would it be too much of a hassle to cut a hole in the door and add it on a G1 Taurus? What about swapping the analog instrument cluster with the digital one? Or adding on the electronic climate control? Just in case I do find the red 86 LX wagon I'm looking for and its missing these features.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What parts would I need besides the Keypad to install it? I think there was some sort of box part or something. On wagons it was mounted in the back part of the car beneath trim where the spare would go for the 86-95s.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
What parts would I need besides the Keypad to install it? I think there was some sort of box part or something. On wagons it was mounted in the back part of the car beneath trim where the spare would go for the 86-95s.
'86 had a fob option without a keypad. First ones I drove were company cars and they were basic as in no power seat, but company wanted fob as a safety issue.

-chart-

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, I wonder if that could be installed too. But I really would love to install the keypad option onto a car. I'm getting really close to purchasing an 86 LX and I want to know what parts I would need to do the installation.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there seriously nobody out there who knows all the parts I would need to install a FACTORY keypad and get the keyless entry system to fully work on a G1 Taurus? Sigh...

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends on what system you wish to install. Keyless Entry, Remote Keyless Entry, and if you wish to have the Auto Lock & Auto Relock active(Keyless Entry uses a seat sensor/reverse signal input/door ajar input), (Remote Entry uses a brake pedal input/reverse signal input/door ajar input). If you only want Keyless Entry (No Auto Lock, Auto Relock,Trunk Release or Illuminated Entry) then you only need the keypad, Keyless Entry Module & the wiring(providing you already have power door locks). The early modules only had 2 connectors that you will need to connect to 12V & Ground and the 8 wires going out to the keypad. Pic's below of some of my installs. !st pic. 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V. 2nd pic, 2000 Lincoln LS & 3rd pic, 2001 Ford Taurus. Also, not all keypads are the same, earlier ones have a designated wire for each button, later ones use internal diodes so the wire harness uses 3 less wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a bunch! Keypad, module, and wires. Got it. When I buy a G1 Taurus wagon I'll do the installation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
TaurusLX86
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing