Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my parents 1997 Ford Taurus, it has way too many miles to post :eek:. However, the engine is as strong as ever, and the tranny still kicking. I am looking to add a 6-Disc CD Changer. How is this accomplished? What all do I need? Is it worth even trying? If this topic already exists please link me over. This is my first post of (I'm sure) many. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Adding a 6-Disc

Hello,

If the dash unit has a CD button and CD controls you just need the CD changer and the wiring that goes in the trunk (near drivers wheel well). You'll probably want a Mach RCU as well unless you already have one. If the CD button is not on the football in the dash you'll need to find a football with a CD button at the auto recycler (junk yard). Grab a Mach RCU at the same time.

If you have 3 dials on the football replace it with one that also has 3 dials. If you have auto climate control get the same auto climate replacement football but with a CD button. Sometimes people sell footballs (stereo & climate control) here or on ebay. I am sure that others will chime in with additional details.

I did this in a Gen 4 Tauurs, added a Mach RCU and the CD changer in the trunk and it all was "plug and play." I added some Mach tweeters to the front door at the same time. This improved the sound system substantially for a reasonable cost. Good Luck. -- SJP

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,409 Posts
You need the RCU with the wires that to go to the changer...I know because I did the same thing...you can use a Gen3 or Gen4 changer...either will work..just plug and play. Of course you have to make sure your radio has the tape/CD buttons first. If not just go to your local J/Y and pick one up.
While you are at it you should add the power antenna..just install and go.

look on the top of this heading for the topic finder...click on that and scroll down to audio..there should be some helpful info there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 98 and got a changer from a junker at a pull your own parts place for $12. Online some of those guy's wanted $300. It's in the trunk mounted on the driver side. One or two plugs were already in the trunk (even though the car never had one) a couple of screws and it was in. The controls were already built into the radio. Just had to runs a CD cleaner disk and it's been fine for 3 years.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
What??? Post your mileage! We are all proud of how many miles our Taurus has and still runs like a champ, there's are a few 250K members too! If you can't find the equipment you need, club member SHOMEX has Taurus audio equipment for a decent price. You might also want to consider the JBL system with amped subwoofer from a '96 model. Very nice...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Going to look in the back of my bull now. My car has 192K with ORIGINAL engine and tranny! PS It does have the CD button on the football.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,409 Posts
How much...I know of someone who might want one. BTW if you can't find a buyer for the changer, I wouldn't mind the magazine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts