Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a proud owner of a 2000 taurus LX vulcan, i think my car has the mach rcu in the trunk cause when i was installing my cd changer in there i think the rcu had fins, and i saw pics of the mach system like that anyways i wanted to add a sub, but with out an amp or new head unit, i have heard you can just plug a sub speaker right into the rcu ,is this true?

·
Registered
53 Posts
well i don't if that possible (not sure but it could be possible) but i know you can run a subwoofer with the stock unit using a High/Low converter and an amp.

i had my system like that for a while then i upgraded my head unit and it sound great, now i just need to replace the stock speakers and I'll b set.....

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
No you can't plug a sub directly into the Amp unless its a JBL system with the dedicated sub. IIRC they stopped making it in 99. And even then, the "sub" was just a 6x9 speaker woofer.

Your best bet is to get a LOC (Line output converter) that will take the speaker signals and send it to an RCA output to input into an Amplifier which will power the sub. Just search for Line output converter and it should come up with some good guides

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i got a sub and a 500 watt amp, so you say i can just use my stock radio and 6 disc cd changer? i can pick up a Line output converter tomorrow, so how do set this up?

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
All LX models had the std amp unless someone put a mach one in.
Did your amp have cooling fins on 3 sides?
If not, its the std amp.:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya i was wrong is isnt the mach, its just a flat box, anyways could you tell me how to set this up to run with my stock system?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My amp apperatnly also has speaker level inputs, and i read if it has this i wouldnt need a line out converter, i would just splice wires from the back spears to the amp for the sub?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My amp apperatnly also has speaker level inputs, and i read if it has this i wouldnt need a line out converter, i would just splice wires from the back spears to the amp for the sub?

Sounds about right. Just make sure you use a good connection, follow the directions that came with your amplifier, and don't half ass anything. Good connections reduce line noise and ultimate increase audio quality.

I've never used Speaker level inputs before. Every setup i've done used an LOC and RCA inputs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok i got it all setup except one part, i got the wire to hook to the battery but we arnt sure if you pull the red wire off first then black and then attach the amp wire then reattach the black then red to the battery?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i hooked it all up and nothing, its not working at all, not even a buzz from the sub, heres a pic of my set up with mspaint ;)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You have to run a positive wire to a trigger. I'm not sure which wire you could tap into to activate the sub, but in a worst case scenario, any ignition activated trigger will do. If you don't have a trigger wired up, the sub won't turn on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol ya i realized that after reading on here about a remote switch and i remember seeing that on the amp so i looked and sure enough you can attach the end to the black and pink wire on the power anntenna (i dont have one but the wires still there) and now it comes on :) its sounds kick ass now thanks man :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok i was wrong, what i thought as "kick ass" turns out to be kittens playing with fluff balls, my buddy came over and looked at it, unplugged one wire from the amp and boom the ****** lit up, its real loud now, i mean like make your voice wobble loud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts