Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a quick and easy way to add a cabin air filter to your 05-09 car that wasn't equipped with a cabin air filter! Since no 500/Montego, Taurus/Sable (08-09), or Freestyle/Taurus X were equipped with one, this is the way to add one! This will also work on a gen 1 Fusion, although the HVAC unit is slightly different.

This process is also similar for a 2006-2009 fusion as far as I've been told. Use a 2010 Fusion cabin air filter.

Things you need:
Dremel (easiest) or razor blade/box cutter
HVAC Aluminum Tape
Cabin Air Filter from a 2010 Ford Taurus (Motorcraft FP-68)

I read this procedure on a different forum so I wasn't the first one to do this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, remove everything from the glovebox. Carefully pop the little stick on the left side of it out (have to slide up and then push it out). That sitck keeps it from flying open. Then push both sides in and drop the glovebox completely down.

You will now see this:

Next, locate the slot where the cabin air filter should be. You have to cut the pice of plastic out of there. Cut it out!!!

Should have a hole like this now:

Look how dirty mine was!!! This is why a cabin air filter NEEDS to be added. We're breathing in all this crap.

Then stick the air filter in! Cut down to size if you need to. Air flows from top down to make sure you get the flow direction right.

Seal off with HVAC tape and you're all set! Breathe clean!

Be sure that this gets put back in the side of the glovebox. I popped it out here:

Thats the little stick thing I was talking about. It's a pain but you want to get it in there.

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out a 2010 Taurus air filter fits PERFECTLY.

So buy that and you are set!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Nice job! Of course it fits, it's the same duct. They just didn't install the standard door. I bet you can use the plastic cover that you removed to seal it back, instead of using tape.

I did this 'upgrade' on my wife's Sonata - her model didn't have the cabin filter, but the slot and the door where there, hidden behind the liner of the dash (that is visible when the glove box is out).

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well since I had to cut it out it wouldn't have sealed. The HVAC tape is easy to apply and does the job! BREATHING CLEAN!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
132 Posts
some of us here also have 2006-2009 fusions.
and these model year fusions did not come with a cabin filter or a place to install them so 'am going to try something like the taurus people are doing with their tauruses. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying this procedure on a fusion. ok!
thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
And yes it is very doable on the 2006-2009 fusion.
Everything fits perfectly, I just had to use the filter for the 2010 fusion. Cabin air filter
WIX # 24367.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I figured out a 2010 Taurus air filter fits PERFECTLY.

So buy that and you are set!
I'm looking to add a cabin air filter to my 08 taurus. Could you share the model of the filter you chose? I found a few for 10 taurus: Motorcraft FP-68 and FRAM CF11176, but they are slightly different in size.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm looking to add a cabin air filter to my 08 taurus. Could you share the model of the filter you chose? I found a few for 10 taurus: Motorcraft FP-68 and FRAM CF11176, but they are slightly different in size.
Good question, I ran across the same thing when I was ready to buy the filter and do this mod. After seeing a few different brands being slightly different in size I said forget it and forgot about doing it. lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good question, I ran across the same thing when I was ready to buy the filter and do this mod. After seeing a few different brands being slightly different in size I said forget it and forgot about doing it. lol
Maybe better than you didn't forget, at least you got less trouble;) I tried this afternoon, but failed to cut a hole on the fake filter cover as Sam had done. I used a box cutter, but the plastic is thicker than I've expected. :(

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No air leaking out for me!

To answer the question about filters. I get mine from Napa every time. Just ask for a 2010 Ford Taurus cabin air filter. It always fits with no issues. I have not tested any others. You can always cut a filter down if you really have to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thanks Sam for the great mod. I plan on doing this when I replace the recirc actuator.
What attachment did you use on your Dremel to make the cut in the fan housing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No tape needed! The filter cover plate from the models with the filter snaps right in place. Next time you replace the filter, order the cover too. Enjoy - Jon

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wonder why Ford decided to remove the cabin air filter on the 2008 Taurus? For me this is an important feature.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It saved them time on the assembly line and money by not having to pay for the part or having to pay someone to install it on the line. Then they sell the car for the same amount of money as they would have had it had a cabin filter installed. I did this to my 09 Sable and my interior stays much less dusty for longer than it did prior. I used an ATP activated charcoal filter on mine. I may go order an actual cover for the 2010 Taurus to replace the tape on mine...but that's not a big deal to me right now. I've had mine in for at least 8 months....no issues with it.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
15 Participants
lambdapro
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing