Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a fully decked out 2005 SES, but it lacks 2 options. Adjustable peddles and the passenger side mirror does not have a puddle light.

I noticed that my mothers 03 much less equipped Taurus has both driver and passenger side puddle lights and it is great when you are approaching the vehicle at night.

How can I add this to my Taurus? I have checked under the mirror and there is not an existing lens, but there is an area where I could imagine myself cutting out and adding a bulb maybe?

I wish the mirrors didn't have the vehicle color on them so I could hit a salvage yard and get one right quick, but is the connector different?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (davesbedroom @ Apr 5 2009, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715570
I thought I had a fully decked out 2005 SES, but it lacks 2 options. Adjustable peddles and the passenger side mirror does not have a puddle light.

I noticed that my mothers 03 much less equipped Taurus has both driver and passenger side puddle lights and it is great when you are approaching the vehicle at night.

How can I add this to my Taurus? I have checked under the mirror and there is not an existing lens, but there is an area where I could imagine myself cutting out and adding a bulb maybe?

I wish the mirrors didn't have the vehicle color on them so I could hit a salvage yard and get one right quick, but is the connector different?[/b]
Mirror must have been replaced in the past.

You can hit a junkyard and get a mirror in any color, you can remove the motor to get to the clips that hold the painted panel on, just swap them over. Proper connector should be in the door unless the door has been replaced as well with an earlier model.
Removal of the mirror requires removal of the door panel, sail panel (or tweeter), and it's held on with 3 bolts. 12mm iirc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was heated mirror ever an option on the 05 Taurus? I am running into heated and non-heated mirrors in my search for a passenger side mirror with a puddle light. Is there anyway I can check to see to make sure mine does have the capability for a puddle light? Maybe mine could be heated as well? Do I really need to take the door panel off, or can I take off only the sail panel? I hate removing door panels.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The great thing about 02+ vehicles, they are all pre-wired for puddle lamps (unless a fleet delete on remote keyless entry), and for heated mirrors. Pop off your door panel, remove the 3 gold nuts that hold the mirror to the car. Put on the new mirror and snap the quick connect together (total of 7 wires in the quick-connect 3 for mirror movement, 2 heat, 2 puddle light).

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Nick, all 02 models are wired for the puddles and heat, except the LX models.

My son had an 02 LX at one time and only had the 5 wire harness, no puddle wires. :eek:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (duraSEL @ Apr 13 2009, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717537
Nick, all 02 models are wired for the puddles and heat, except the LX models.

My son had an 02 LX at one time and only had the 5 wire harness, no puddle wires. :eek:[/b]
Wow...Ford actually deleted the wiring for the light entirely on the LX? :rolleyes2: Probably cost more to eliminate it by making a separate harness :lol2:

I think Gentz had the wiring in his 03 SE (7 pin harness), but even when plugged in they wouldn't work since he doesn't have factory keyless entry. So he had to wire them in like a 00-01 person would.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 13 2009, 11:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717551
I think Gentz had the wiring in his 03 SE (7 pin harness), but even when plugged in they wouldn't work since he doesn't have factory keyless entry. So he had to wire them in like a 00-01 person would.[/b]
Not to speak on his behalf, but Nick is right. The wiring was all there on his car for puddle lamps but once the mirrors were connected the puddle lamps still did not work. So for fleet delete the wiring is there just not connected in any way to the gem and/or remote keyless since there is no keyless.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Nomenclature question

"Keyless entry"...

Does that = FOB button with lock/unlock/trunk/panic

or = Door-mounted keypad

or both?

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Apr 14 2009, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=717705
Nomenclature question

"Keyless entry"...

Does that = FOB button with lock/unlock/trunk/panic

or = Door-mounted keypad

or both?[/b]
I should've been more specific, I'm sorry. Keyless Entry typically means the door-mounted keypad while Remote Keyless Entry means you have a remote (lock/unlock/trunk/panic) but not necessarily the door-mounted keypad. At least thats how it used to be... Hope that clears it up ;)

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Tx.

Looking in my mirror housing, I don't see any puddle lamp connectors, just the wiring to the mirror motor. (2004 that started life as a lease car).

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The connector won't be in the mirror - it's a harness in the door. The mirrors without heat and without puddle lamps just don't use all the wires in the harness.

Just to clear up the keyless thing further - to have a door-mounted keypad, the car has to have the remote fob too, or at least the capability to use remotes (on the G4, anyway...I'm almost positive the 3 is the same).

If you have keyless, you "should" have the wiring for heated and lighted mirrors. Never say never on a fleet car though :noes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the easiet way to get the cover from the old mirror to the new mirror?

Also, how hard is it to remove the door panel? Lots of those plastic clips that strip when you pry the panel off?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (davesbedroom @ Apr 22 2009, 11:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719600
What is the easiet way to get the cover from the old mirror to the new mirror?

Also, how hard is it to remove the door panel? Lots of those plastic clips that strip when you pry the panel off?[/b]
Pull the motor out of the housing along with the bracket it sits on, you'll see the clips protruding into the housing. CAREFULLY release them with some pliers. They are very brittle. If you do break them off, use some 3m double sided tape between the housing and cover to secure it.

Screw those clips, without a proper panel removal tool, they usually break anyway. They are cheap at the local parts house. Just put new ones in.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When Nick and I tested my connections at the doors to check if they were pre-wired for heat and the puddle lamps, they were. Hope tha thelps.

'05 Taurus SE

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Apr 22 2009, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719613
Pull the motor out of the housing along with the bracket it sits on, you'll see the clips protruding into the housing. CAREFULLY release them with some pliers. They are very brittle. If you do break them off, use some 3m double sided tape between the housing and cover to secure it.[/b]
I have the mirror unit in my hand. Where/How does the motor come out? From the mirror part, or do I remove the weather stripping where the 3 bolts that attach it to the Taurus are?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
QUOTE (davesbedroom @ Apr 24 2009, 09:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720196
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Apr 22 2009, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719613
Pull the motor out of the housing along with the bracket it sits on, you'll see the clips protruding into the housing. CAREFULLY release them with some pliers. They are very brittle. If you do break them off, use some 3m double sided tape between the housing and cover to secure it.[/b]
I have the mirror unit in my hand. Where/How does the motor come out? From the mirror part, or do I remove the weather stripping where the 3 bolts that attach it to the Taurus are?
[/b][/quote]

Both

First, pull the glass off. Push on the left side of the glass until it stops, then reach in on the right side (get a few fingers in) and pull the glass out, you can use a screwdriver to help pop the glass and backing away from the motor. There's a few torx screws in there and 2 under the gasket where it bolts to the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts