Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about hooking my gas lid up the my bull dog remote start unit and use the trunk button to open it. anyone have any ideas as to where I could mount an actuator and still have it work. Thanks for your help.
P.S. don't tell me how hard or stupid my plan is or how you think it will not work because I will make this work and am just looking for suggestions to help me out.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by sabledale@Jul 17 2004, 12:26 AM
I was thinking about hooking my gas lid up the my bull dog remote start unit and use the trunk button to open it. anyone have any ideas as to where I could mount an actuator and still have it work. Thanks for your help.
P.S. don't tell me how hard or stupid my plan is or how you think it will not work because I will make this work and am just looking for suggestions to help me out.
The idea sounds cool... but i'd be afraid of having sparks near fuel / fuel vapors. There will be a spark when the solenoid kicks out. JUST SOMETHING TO CONSIDER. I know if the system is completely sealed and your cap is ok there shouldn't be any fuel or vapors, but its still a little dangerous. :unsure: I'd think about it again..

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The easiest way would be to spring load the gas cap, and to use a solenoid to release the latch. Or better yet, use a trunk release-style latch, and mount the solenoid in a remote location, so that the electrical components would be away from the fuel vapors.

..And it's a stupid idea. :D j/k

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, spring load the cap. You can mount the unlock actuator to the cable/lever near the driver's seat so it's well away from the gas fumes. When you pull up on the lever, you pull a cable so get the actuator to pull the cable for you.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Jul 18 2004, 11:01 PM
Yeah, spring load the cap. You can mount the unlock actuator to the cable/lever near the driver's seat so it's well away from the gas fumes. When you pull up on the lever, you pull a cable so get the actuator to pull the cable for you.
I like this idea but have just one problem with it. I don't want the actuator to show so how can I mount it so it will not show?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
How about hiding it under that plastic thing that houses the levers for the trunk and gas door? In fact, why not install one for the trunk too? Hook it up to a remote and you'd have keyless for the trunk and gas door, LOL!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trunk would be easier but I don't want to mess with it. There is no enough room to mount one under the plastic that hides the levers. I just had that appart today because I was putting new plastic peices at the end of my levers because my plastic ones were old and one of them broke off. It was a trick to just rob the plastic ends off a junker but I think it was easier than swapping the whole unit.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
What cable are you taking about? the trunk release cable? There is none for the G3. It's a solenoid at the trunk latch.

EDIT: sorry, forgot you were talking about a G2 sable. But this brings me to an interesting idea. The G3 latch already has the solenoid. Just swap out the whole latch assemblies if you can, and you can have a remote actuated trunk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts