Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find a straight answer on what actuates self-adjuster. Some say braking in reverse motion, others say hand brake, and that's for the same vehicle. So I asked automotive engineers. Here is the summary of what I was told.

1) Self-adjuster is actuated by the movement of the trailing shoe (rear of the pair). If the movement of the rear shoe is large, attached mechanism moves self-adjuster by a notch.

2) Self-adjuster works during normal braking operation. But rear shoe moves more while braking in reverse motion.

If I just installed new shoes, simply pushing the brake pedal would actuate the self-adjuster. But fine tuning would need reverse braking. This applies to all American cars.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been told to use the parking brake.

While pulling on the release, pump parking brake a few times, that has worked.
[/b]
Since parking brake moves the trailing shoe, it will work, too. My point is it does not have to be one or the other. When there is enough clearance between the shoe and the drum (right after brake repair), all (normal braking - whether car is moving or not, hand brake, backup braking, or manual turning of self-adjuster) will actuate the self adjuster. But final self-adjusting will be during backup braking because it moves trailing shoe more than the others.

·
Premium Member
7,582 Posts
Just crawl under the car with a brake spoon and adjust the thing, you'll get it alot closer than it would be any other way. 98% of the time those things don't work like they're supposed to.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I said before how to do it. Jack up car with wheel on or off, remove star wheel cover on backing plate, turn adjuster (it will only go one way to adjust up) and spin wheel, keep adjusting til there is a little drag on the wheel. Or just go fast in reverse, slam brakes, pump a few times and viola.

·
Premium Member
7,582 Posts
edit: and by drove with them on I am referring to new rear brake pads.[/b]
See that's what happens when you don't read. Clearly you're talking about rear DISK brakes, because DISK brakes have PADS. We....are clearly talking about DRUM brakes, it even says that in the title..rear drum brakes.
Now, although 94clit has "said before" how to do it, you must know, that it will adjust in one direction quite easily. That will actually LOOSEN the adjuster. You will need to find the star wheel and figure out the "harder" direction in order to adjust it tighter. As was stated, you will start to feel drag on the tire as it spins, adjust it to where it spins about 3/4 rotation, pump the brake pedal several times and re-check the "spin". You might need to do it a few times until it is consistent, once it is, do the other side.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
what rudy said

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Just did mine last saturday, the "straight" part on the starwheel, not the slanted part is where I put the screwdriver to adjust them, if i pushed the other way, the screwdriver just slipped off the slanted part, thats what i meant.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
The self adjustor exploded on the drivers side of my 99 yesterday.

Last night from 12 to 2:30 I converted it over to Disc.

I am getting damn good at it.

It is amazing how few tools you need to do the job when you just install a complete knuckle.
If I had a new set of struts I would have put them on too.

I also found out that on the GenIII the ABS connectors to the car are the same.

Today I have to go get Bullgeek another setup so cause the one I used was actually one I sold to him

Mike
B)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since parking brake moves the trailing shoe, it will work, too. My point is it does not have to be one or the other. When there is enough clearance between the shoe and the drum (right after brake repair), all (normal braking - whether car is moving or not, hand brake, backup braking, or manual turning of self-adjuster) will actuate the self adjuster. But final self-adjusting will be during backup braking because it moves trailing shoe more than the others.
Only in a "dual servo" system with the star adjuster separating the shoes at the bottom. On "single, or non-servo" systems with the star adjuster just below the wheel cylinder, actuating the parking brake adjust the shoes, and back will do nothing. On air drums, the applying of the brake in either direction will adjust the brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts