Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just changed a new air filter for my 01 Taurus and sh*t happened. I know the room is tight when lifting up the filter cap and I could barely squeeze the new filter in so I wiggled the cap a bit and it came off.

The cap I referred to is the one with two metal clips and it was inserted to some plastic hose and tightened by a metal hose clamp. I was able to insert it back to the hose and clamp it down to the filter box properly. However the hose clamp that fastens it to the hose is kinda loose. I just tightened the hose clamp after driving to my lab (1 mile at most)

Will this induce some vacuum problem? Sorry for sounding stupid as this is the 2nd time I replace my air filter. And I'm kinda paranoid about vacuum leak since I had one a year ago that gave me the check engine light.

And BTW, how often should I change the air filter? I did it about the same time last year, and the old one did not seem that dirty to me.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what part you're talking about but if you had a vacuum leak the idle would probably be off and it's not that big of a deal to fix. You're probably fine and most people never replace them so the fact that you do put's you ahead lol. You'd have to read your owners manual probably every 6 months or something, you could always just get a k&n and clean it every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
So you are referring to the two metal clips that snap down and hold the airbox tightly closed? Or are you referring to a vacuum line that has popped out/rotted away?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you are referring to the two metal clips that snap down and hold the airbox tightly closed? Or are you referring to a vacuum line that has popped out/rotted away?
I'm referring to the cap with two metal clips. On one side it's this square shape with two metal clips, on the other side it's a tube that gets inserted into a bellow and tightened with band hose clamp.

The hose clamp got loose, so when I wiggled the cap trying to create more space to put my filter in, the cap popped out from that bellow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts