Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! So last week I was having a misfire in cylinder 5 and I replaced all of the spark plugs and checked the coil packs. Everything seemed to be fine and the code disappeared but then I was having a major idle problem so I tore back into the motor and replaced the PCV and checked the hose. After I finished this I took it out for a drive and everything seemed to be running just fine. A few days later I go to leave for work and suddenly the car is accelerating very fast and very hard all on it's own. I stood on the brakes to make it stop and managed to turn around and get it home. I went to park in my usual place and it wouldn't stop even tho I was again standing on the brakes. I had to slam the car into neutral and then I noticed it was running very hard around 4,000 rpms so I shut it off and will not drive it again until I fix the problem. Can someone please help me with this? I will lose my job if I don't get it fixed soon!!

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
Check the throttle linkage to be sure it is not sticking. If the throttle plate closes fully, unplug the IAC and see if it idles normally. My guess is you have a LARGE vacuum leak due to a disconnected hose, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know where I could find a diagram to find those things? I've never worked on a Taurus before. Is it possible that one of the hoses disconnected when I put the valve cover back on?

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Check the cables at the throttle. I had that happen before, the throttle/cruise cable cracks and gets hung up so it holds the throttle open when you floor it. There's a recall to fix it on certain years, yours might be one of them, but I think it might have expired, otherwise you just buy the cable from Ford, can't remember if it was $30-$60. You basically just unhook it and it goes back to its normal position. You can use some duct tape on the cable temporarily so it doesn't get hung up again til you get a new cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
henrysel
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing