Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was adding some R134a into the low pressure hose.
Well, the pressure at the low pressure hose swings in the normal working range.
The compressor starts and stops again and again, making the pressure changing bwtween high and low point.

My guess is, there isn't enough refrigerant in the system. So the compressor has to stop to wait for enough gas to suck, after it works for a while.

But the only fact that doesn't support me is: even if I keep adding R134a to keep the pressure higher than the low point, the compressor still stops working, therefore the pressure still swings.

What do you think? it just needs more refrigerant? Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
STOP!!!!!

First off what is the pressure? It is designed to cycle on and off at certain pressures.

What was the vent discharge temps along with the outside ambient temperature?

You don't happen to have a high side reading, do you?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JJ57@May 31 2004, 07:07 PM
STOP!!!!!

First off what is the pressure? It is designed to cycle on and off at certain pressures.

What was the vent discharge temps along with the outside ambient temperature?

You don't happen to have a high side reading, do you?
the pressure fluctuates right in the 'filled' range on the gauge.
once it reaches the 'low', compressor stops;
and when it goes out of 'filled' and into 'high', the compressor starts.
So the switching mechanism seems working good.

sorry I don't know what 'vent dischrge temp' means. but the AC blows much cooler air after I added some R134a. I don't have high pressure reading.

So what culd be the possible reasons for this problem?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok,

How cold is the air coming out of the vents? What is the outside temp?

What is the "normal" readings on the gauges? Numbers please.

·
Registered
114 Posts
AC is kinda a difficult thing to work on for most people, and it can be dangerous to since you are working with refridgerant under high pressure, bring it to a shop and ask them to test if your AC is full, they can test it on the high and low side and tell you, if it is full then you know your problem isnt the amount of refridgerant and it is the mechanical part of it. Otherwise you could buy a good guage that can measure on both sides for around a hundred bucks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Outside it's about 75F. The venting air is like 50F. Before I added any R134a, it was almost not cool.
And the range of pressure change is 25~45 psi.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That seems just a bit warm. Then again you were idling. The ideal temperature is around 40-48*. With R-134a, this can be done, but you need experience.

The pressure sounds right, but without the high side, I can't tell you anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts