Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC system has a leak I can't find because I put some of the do it all ac system recharge stuff in and that made it very cold for like 4 weeks and now its back to hot again. this stuff was supposed to lubricat and seal and was colored to help you find the leak.

My buddy works at a shop and I asked if he could fix it, and he said he could as long as I didn't put any stop leak in it. I asked him what was up with that? and he told me that stop leak stuff will destory his $7,000 machine at the shop. So now I am going to put another $20 can of this stuff into my AC tonight and hope it keeps for longer than 4 weeks and maybe I can see it comming out of the ac system this time, but chances are its happening inside the dash.

Does anyone know more about this? What do you do after you put the stop leak in and a shop wont touch your car??

:ph34r:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
After you put the stop leak in and the shops won't go near your car, you replace the entire AC system...not worth it on most cars.

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
take it to the shop and if they won't touch it then you :shoot: the %$#@%ers.

seriously...you'll have to replace the entire system. and i have to say :withstupid: on this, because its really not worth it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm going to get myself a black light and use it to hopefully find the leak. Maybe I can A & B that leak and then be back on my marry way. Otherwise I'm heading to the junk yard!! :banana:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
what about "system safe sealer and cleaner"

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Chances are, if you put it in and it leaked out that fast, stop leak junk is not going to stop the leak. At least the stuff had dye in it so that you can track down the leak. If enough dye leaked out you can see a green and oily stain around the leak without the UV light.

Good plan getting the light, it'll make finding the leak a lot easier. If your evaporator is leaking, you'll see dye under UV light around the drain tube for the evap core. hopefully that's not the case and it's just a chaffed hose or leaking o ring.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You would probably be okay if you replaced your condensor, accumulator and orifice line then flushing the remaining lines and the evaporator. Definitely check the accumulator with the dye as mentioned above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts