Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I've been trying to fix my girlfriends AC in her 2003 Taurus. I've checked the Freon levels and topped it off with a little its right where it should be for our outside temps. The AC hasn't been working for about a week. However, this morning out of no where it started right up with the car nice and cold. I thought Yes I did it! Turned the car back on to show her a few min later....no AC!!!! Every time I turn the switch for AC inside the car you hear the compressor kick in, but no air come out at all but the AC hose gets frozen up whenever I turn the AC on. So Im thinking that has some sort of issue.

In addition her car engine bogs down when in Idle. When my car did this it was a spark plug misfire, so Im planning on changing them. However I had the freon gauge hooked up to the car today and I noticed that every time the car drops below 500rpms and struggles my freon gauge drops to 0 as well and then it slowly starts rising again. Could my AC problem be related to that?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
If AC hose gets cold but no air, you have either inoperative fan (in the cabin) or inoperative blender door.

Pressure dropping to zero puzzles me. What happens to high pressure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that I will check into that. I drove it across town last night and I turned the car to AC not ACmax and I got a little air coming out of the vents. After it sat on AC for about 20min I could turn it to max and the AC worked fine. Could it still be a blender door?
I did not take a gauge reading on the high pressure I will do that..

thanks for your help. =)

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Not clear from you discription..... Do you have AIR FLOW with no AC function (ambient temp air from vents), do you have air flow from somewhere else, like from the defrost vents, or do you have no air flow at all?

·
Registered
94 Posts
i also have an issue with AC, when i accelerate the car the air flow goes low, some times no air flow at all, but when slower the speed it comes back...i am thinking of having an issue with blend door. when i bought my car the heater hose were disconnected, so i dont get any hot air, but flow goes low.

any ideas where i may start to check?

·
Registered
22 Posts
i also have an issue with AC, when i accelerate the car the air flow goes low, some times no air flow at all, but when slower the speed it comes back...i am thinking of having an issue with blend door. when i bought my car the heater hose were disconnected, so i dont get any hot air, but flow goes low.

Its a wild guess that popped in my head, but does your belt squeal? Is it loose or used?

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Vacuum

That is Vacuum. You have a vacuum storage can somewhere. It has a check valve so it stores vacuum. (nothing :lol2:) If it leaks, or the check valve does not hold, then when you accelerate, you lose your stored vacuum that moves the dampers. If that is the case, it may make the car not idle good as it may be a vacuum leak also.

-chart-

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is Vacuum. You have a vacuum storage can somewhere. It has a check valve so it stores vacuum. (nothing :lol2:) If it leaks, or the check valve does not hold, then when you accelerate, you lose your stored vacuum that moves the dampers. If that is the case, it may make the car not idle good as it may be a vacuum leak also.

-chart-
Compressor always run...

chartmaker, you may be right, sounds it moves the damper and no airflow, then it slowly comes back like a damper opening.... i have a small issue with good idling too, today i cleaned IAC valve, vacuum regulator i didn't check it yet.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
You can pull the radio with din keys (radio removal tools) and observe the blend door actuator operation by rotating the temp. knob (blue/red) with key in the on position. Actuator opens and closes blend door electrically. Vent (mode) selection is vacuum controlled. Your hvac vacuum begins at the black plastic vac. manifold box mounted above the brake booster on the drivers firewall with the thick line marked ac. Travels across (clipped to the windshield cowling) to a check-valve and tee on the pass. side firewall where a whitish line runs to a vac. storage ball in the pass. fender and the black line enters the firewall for hvac controls and individual vac. motors behind the dash. There is also a white vac. plug under (behind) the glovebox attached to the evaporator/heater core box which needs to be connected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts