Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC when ON overheats my car, it gets it up to 3/4 of the gauge before I turn it off. It use to run cool at about 1/4 - 1/2 in the past. Recently it started doing this.

One thing I have noticed is that my reservoir tank is kinda...Orange. The liquid inside I mean. Could this be a bad radiator? Or a bad Waterpump that isn't cooling and circulating?

thanks

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Apr 20 2009, 12:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718976
You should have the coolant drained and refilled and the heater core backflushed.[/b]
Seconded, I'm thinking a clogged heater core is affecting coolant flow. What I don't know is if the heater core is supposed to be constantly flowing or if it is selective. Maybe someone can clear that up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heat, so Idk if thats a good sign. I might end up doing this next sunday since I work until then. Any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Mai-Sable @ Apr 20 2009, 02:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718994
I have heat, so Idk if thats a good sign. I might end up doing this next sunday since I work until then. Any other ideas or suggestions?[/b]
That's backing up my suspicions that its a "Compound problem" a clogged up heater core and a worn impeller due to lack of maintenance. The heater core is increasing the load on the cooling system and the impeller simply cannot force the coolant through the clogged core sufficiently enough to cool the engine.

You might be looking at two repairs. You have never had the coolant flushed before?

"If it's green your running clean, If its brown, Your going down."

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The heater core always has coolant running through it. It does not ever increase the load on the cooling system. It will only take heat away.

Are both fans working? Let the car idle when hot and the heat selector on floor, heater temp set on cold and see if the fans cycle on and off.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
If the coolant and water pump don't turn out to be the problem I've had 2 cars in the past which started to run hot or overheat with the ac turned on. On both cars I took the radiator out and blew it out from the back with powerful cleaner and a garden hose or pressure washer, and did the same to the ac condensor. Lots of sand gets trapped inside the fins and you will see it collect on the ground as it gets dislodged.

In both cars, one an 89 volvo and one a 93 sable, after the cleaning they stopped overheating with the ac on. The volvo used to run hot every time and the sable only did it on the highway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, well as far as everything goes, im going to replace the waterpump, thermostat and radiator since I know they are all getting old.
I recently replaced the thermostat but aside from that, these are all things I have to replace anyhow.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
What coating? If the coolant didn't go in orange then it is full of rust from the iron parts and way overdue for a change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts