Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it absolutely necessary to use a special tube to pull the orifice tube out, or is this something I can tackle with a pair of needle-nose pliers?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just replaced mine on an '05 Sable and saw no need for any special tool. Needle nose pliers worked just fine. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Ford "says" you're supposed to use the special tool, but unless the orifice tube is really stuck in there, i've always just used needle-nose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's rather what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to be rudely surprised by some oddball change that had occurred in AC systems since I was trained to work on them (over 20 years ago!).

Thanks, y'all! :bowdown:

·
Registered
953 Posts
do you guys have to remove the line (is it the low or high line) to get access to the orifice tube?

i just replaced the entire High/Low lines (along with everything else). I would just like to know this for the future instead of replacing the lines again.

Also, by removing this part, does the system have to be bled and then re-vacuumed and then recharged? I would imagine so, but again, never just replaced this one part.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (ricer333 @ Jul 23 2009, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741379
do you guys have to remove the line (is it the low or high line) to get access to the orifice tube?

i just replaced the entire High/Low lines (along with everything else). I would just like to know this for the future instead of replacing the lines again.

Also, by removing this part, does the system have to be bled and then re-vacuumed and then recharged? I would imagine so, but again, never just replaced this one part.[/b]
Oh, yeah. If you open the system, which you must do to remove even the orifice tube, you have to go through the whole procedure. :icon_frown: I'm replacing the compressor and receiver/drier, and it's not a bad idea to do the orifice tube while you're at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts