Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2004 Ford Taurus SEL - DOHC
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the middle of replacing the orings on my ac system with a new accumulator, compressor and orfice line. I noticed the orings on my manifold line, (the one to the back of the compressor to the condenser) has a red orings on it and it's thicker. Is this correct? Or not. None of my orings from the kits match it exactly.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Household hardware Nut
by
Body jewelry Wood Jewellery Circle Font

Comfort Sleeve Gesture Safety glove Grey

· Registered
7,977 Posts
What year is your car? That manifold block seems different that on my 2000's which have a double hose block. Is that to the condenser? Ford o rings are usually green. if the new o ring is inserted into the groove cut into the other side of the mating connector sticks out a fair bit the you should be ok. You need to had enough crush with the new o ring.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize, it's a 2004 Ford Taurus, DOHC. And yes that spot is to the condenser. The red oring is what came off and the green is the closest one I have to the same size. It's from an ac oring kit from buying the dryer and orfice lines.

· Registered
472 Posts
Agree with Automender. If the new green O-ring fits snugly into the recess of the mating condenser flange, I don't see where the thickness will be an issue so long as it protrudes outward enough to form a seal once the retaining bolt is tightened down. I'm guessing the last person who serviced that line put that red one on because it was the closest match they had on-hand to the original.

· Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
827 Posts
No, I haven't, but thanks for posting this. I will try to store it in the memory bank for future use, if I can retrieve it somewhere down the road. Anymore it seems like too many turns and roadblocks are in the way.

· Registered
2,108 Posts
If memory serves me right, back when they were swtiching to R134 they made the replacement Orings that were R134 compatible green to not confuse them with the older black R12 orings. Not sure what the issues was, but probably some material compatibility issues with the R134 or its oil.

Reactions: kekaye56

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on post:
Having used the green 'slightly smaller in thickness ' oring ended in a leak. Took me virtually forever to determine where, but finally lead back to here. Hoping to figure out where I stached the old oring and hope to hell it didn't get left out.... If so I guess it's to the junk yard to break open a few systems..... R134a is almost $13 a can now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts