Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a leak on my 99 Bull 3.0. Its on the low pressure side in the valve it self. I put a soapy solution and it bubbled up. I have a Shrader removal tool but that wont reach it. It looks like the valve is part or the line itself.
It looks like I need to replace the line itself.
Store Locator | NAPA Online

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
no. discharge system, unscrew lo-side service port with small pliers, coat o-rings with pag46 oil, screw on new serv. port, evacuate system (pump down into a vacuum of 30in. hg) for about an hour, and recharge sys. with 2.2 pounds (34 ozs.) of r134a freon. might be able to get the port at an ac shop, a retro-fit(conversion) kit at an auto parts store, or, like i did, online at lenz dist. good luck, -sheila

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I am about 99% sure that the a/c valves are a dealer item on the Taurus. NO parts store carried them when I had to replace the high side valve on my car. Damn thing was like 20 bucks too! Try 1stforparts.com, they should have it.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
Lenz dist. carries them online in boxes of 5 for about $2.50 ea. lo-side part#fjc2608. hi-side part#2610. they also carry removal sockets if you do not wish to use sm. pliers for $8.08 ea. lo-side skt. part#fjc2746. hi-side skt. part#fjc2748. shipping is apprx. $8. good luck, -sheila

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, What is weird is it looks like that the valve is part of the line itself. Even when I went to Ford the valve he gave me looked nothing like what is on the car. I'll try to get a shot of it. I have no low side valve cap and finding one is hard. I took the one of my wifes 99 Sable and the new one looks nothing like it. I wonder if Ford changed something.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
Lenz dist. sells caps too for cheap in boxes of 5. Prob. get everything you need @ pick & pull(service port & cap). what yr. is the car? the part #s i provided were for 98-99(gen. 3). maybe something(s) changed??? dunno??? good luck, -sheila

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the other cars cap in and stumped them LOL! Looks like a trip to the salvage yard.
I did manage to tighten the Shrader valve a bit and the bubbling is all but gone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success:D!! After 20 minutes at NAPA we found it. First thing we got a new suction line for the Bull. I took that cap off and tried it on mine, no fit. I measured the valve on mine and it was 1/4" longer than the new one. Next up they started searching and came up with one that looked exactly like the one on the Sable. It fit!! It turned out to be for a Ford HD truck. The cap is very tight now and next up a recharge.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Success:D!! After 20 minutes at NAPA we found it. First thing we got a new suction line for the Bull. I took that cap off and tried it on mine, no fit. I measured the valve on mine and it was 1/4" longer than the new one. Next up they started searching and came up with one that looked exactly like the one on the Sable. It fit!! It turned out to be for a Ford HD truck. The cap is very tight now and next up a recharge.

You really should do a little write up on this with some part numbers. I can see this being an issue for many. I have changed out the entire lines, but I did not know the valve itself could be replaced if damaged.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
As previously stated, you can prob. match up and get what you need for cheap @ pick n pull or google Lenz Dist. All ac parts are accompanied with pics. for comparison. I am not affiliated with lenz dist. in any way, but merely had a pleasant buying experience as a customer.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
kellyinkc: Your initial post stated your leak was on a 99 bull? Those part#s provided are guaranteed to be correct for 98-99 bulls unless someone has cobbled in a suction line from a ford HD truck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes a 99 Bull, 3.0 Vulcan. AFAIK it is OEM. The cap from the wifes 99 Sable 3.0 Vulcan fits it exactly.
The part number from NAPA 409568 and a whopping $0.76 . I even went to a Ford dealer and asked for the cap. The one I got did not have that plastic center all the way to the end like the pix.

Something happened in production and I do not know what. I need to find another 99 and see what it has.

Kelly

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
I stand corrected! I have 2 99 tecs, 1 early build date, 1 late build date. the early build(which i was recently working on) has ports identical to my 98 tecs, the late build ports & caps are a different style. so sorry! not sure if ports were removed if they would interchange or not?

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
The valve core cannot be accessed with my ac valve core tool on the 98s & the early build 99, but on the late build 99, it looks as though it can be tightened or removed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine won't reach either. I will try small set of pliers or a small screwdriver to tighten it the do a bubble test.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
My late build 99 cap & port are identical to your picture. I was able to get my r134a valve core tool seated on both lo & hi port cores to check for snugness. Mastercool part#81290. good luck, sheila

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the part number, I'll get one. Funny thing is the temps are in the 70's now and I do not need the A/C LOLOL!

Kelly

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
I wonder if the service ports simply unscrew from the lines on the style like yours if they are leaking, or you merely snug the valve cores or change out the core with the Mastercool tool? Surely you dont have to r&r entire line???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts