Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Ac help please

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  paker 
#1 ·
Hi. My daughter is home from school and I am in the middle of looking at her AC. (2000 Taurus 3.0) I can't get the AC clutch to come on. I have the low presure switched jumped and I still have no power to the AC clutch. Does this car have some kind of control mod. if so where is it? Any help appreciated. ;)

#5 ·
I am not getting power to the AC CLUTCH with the low side switch jumped.(2 wire switch at the accum). The cluch works fine if I give it 12v. I need to find out what else is in the electrical sys. that controls it other then the low presure switch. what is the other switch on the back of the compressor on the high presure ac refrig. line and what does it control?

#6 ·
I would assume the hi side pressure switch which should shut (save) things down if pressure exceeds a pre-set value. Dunno. Hopefully some ac gurus will chime in. I thought there is a lo and hi side switch and the lo side clutch cycling switch you have jumpered on top of the accumulator.

#7 ·
As noted above, check the AC clutch relay in the power distribution box.

#11 ·
Exactly what is jumping the switch? Is it disconnecting the mating connector (with wires) and shorting the two terminals on the wire side?

How did you diagnose the high pressure switch? Did you replace the switch? Can it be done without discharging freon?

#12 ·
I unplug the lo (cycling) switch on top of the accumulator and jump the 2 terminals with a paperclip or wire enabling compressor to run and accept a charge following discharge and evacuation or for a top-off if freon (pressure) level has fallen too low for compressor to run. Others leave the switch plugged in and simply backprobe the 2 wires. I think he merely reconnected the hi press. switch?

#14 ·
Yes, if you pump it down, vacuum alone will suck in the initial part of the recharge, but usually will stop after a can or so not allowing sufficient system pressure to trigger the compressor to complete the recharge. And yes, compressor can run with out freon as long as it has close to its entire system charge of 7oz. of pag46 oil. System is completely charged with 34oz. (2#2oz.) of r134a.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.